Nine

EDITED 7.10.2020

Everly's p.o.v

He blacked out. Zach is passed out on my bedroom floor. I shouldn't have told him, knowing somewhat of his reaction.

I grab a pillow that lays at the end of my bed, and chuck it across the room. How can I be so stupid? I just told Zach I'm dating Nick–the guy who beat up his brother. I am the absolute worst roommate. I won't be surprised if him and Ben decide to kick me out.

I know what you're thinking, why would I ever date a guy like Nick? Well, it's a long story. I have known Nick since high school. We never dated, because we thought we were better off as friends. Except after I went to that party with Ben, I saw Nick there. My feelings just crept through out of nowhere, and I kissed him. It was a great kiss if i'm being honest. Everything was fine until Nick caught me in a corner with Ben. I was being the friendly person I am, and he got jealous.

I have to fix this whole mess. I know that no matter what I say to Nick, he won't listen to me. First, I need to wake Zach up. I run to the kitchen and grab a small bowel from under the sink. I turn the faucet to cold, and fill it up. Zach will probably be even more pissed at me, but at least he'll be awake. I carefully make my way towards my room, and am about to pour the ice-cold water on Zach, until Ben rushes inside my room.

"Everly! What's going on? I heard a loud thud earlier and thought it was nothing, but then I heard bangs coming from the kitchen–" Ben looks at my hands, and sees the ice water. His eyes shift towards the floor where Zach laid. "Oh my god, what happened? Is he okay? What happened Everly?!"

"Relax, Ben! Zach blacked out, so I got a bowel of cold water to wake him back up. Everything's fine, I swear."

Ben closes his eyes, and I can see his forehead scrunch a bit. He lets out a sigh. "I don't even want to know why he fainted. You sure you have to pour water on him though? Did you try shaking him?"

I shake my head. "No, I've just seen this stuff in movies. Plus, it's more fun." I smile and dump the water onto Zach. He immediately bolts up into a sitting position, and lets out a long gasp. He coughs up some water, and I pat his back to help him out.

I quietly say, "Hey, Zach, I'm sorry to ask so soon, but are you feeling okay?"

Zach wipes his eyes and looks up at Ben and I. His expression soon changes, and his eyes widen. Zach scurries back up on his feet in front of us.

"What the hell happened? I remember being mad and then all of a sudden darkness crowded around me." He pulls up the end of the shirt to dry his face.

I replay the events in my head that led to Zach blacking out. He will never forgive me, but I can't lie to him. "Zach, I told you that I was dating Nick. Then you just dropped to the floor. Do you remember anything?"

Zach's eyes flash with anger. "I can't believe I forgot! How could I forget? I can not believe you would do this to Ben, and even me! He hurt my brother, Everly, and you're just going to keep seeing him?"

"Zach..." I start to say.

Ben interrupts me, "Wait, you're dating Nick?" His eyes glimmer. "I thought at the party you kissed a random guy. When we were talking in the corner, you didn't mention it was Nick!"

Great, now they both hate me.

"Ben, I'm so sorry. I should've told you. I was just ashamed of myself that I was dating Nick after he had beat you up. I didn't want you or Zach to know." I hesitated and said, "I understand if you don't want me dating him. I'll break up with him, I promise."

Silence took over the room. Neither of them are saying anything. I continue, "It's just, I like him. I know you probably think I'm crazy for it, but I've had feelings for him since high school. Once I have feelings for someone, they don't just go away."

Ben looks down at his feet, and Zach huffs as he sits down on the edge of my bed.

Ben quietly asks," You still like a guy who hurt me? I thought we were friends."

Zach abruptly stands up, and marches out the room. I start to pick at my nails. I am the worst. I imagined Zach hating me, but never thought Ben would be this hurt. I caused this. As much as I know it's going to suck, I have to break up with Nick. Having a friendship with Ben, and even Zach, is more important.

The apartment door slams, and Ben and I flinch. We both stare at each other, and share wearily expressions. Where is Zach going? More importantly, what's he going to do?

Shorter chapter, sorry!
Chapter 10, in my opinion, is going to be juicy !! *sips tea*
Thanks for 5.1k reads! Beyond grateful for all the reads and votes you all give me. It means so much. Make sure to comment too! I respond to most <3
Be sure to vote, comment, & add to your library!
-Izzy