Chapter 21

I never dreaded any family gatherings...no matter how small or big they were. I mean its family so it’s basically like going home to that one place you’re most comfortable with and akin to be your honest self so...why am I sweating buckets now?

I didn’t know if I wanted to cry in embarrassment, shriek in horror, or face-palm when the scene in front of me unravel in what seemed like the painfully dawdling but sudden occurrence that all I wanted to do was retreat hastily inside the house to escape the thwarting sight. But I couldn’t do that – I couldn’t well leave Callum in the clutches of my crazy mother as she literally flung herself to him like a fanatical highschooler would.

“Mom!” I chastised her when she all hugged the living daylights out of Callum.

Is she that thrilled that I finally brought a guy home? Hallelujah!

“Mom, let go of Callum. He couldn’t breathe already.” I took pity on the poor man as he stood there helplessly with our bags on both his hands while mom animatedly sandwiched his face in between her hands with newly manicured red nails flashing and pinched his cheeks enthusiastically.

I both giggled and grimaced at the same time looking at Callum’s bewildered and flushed face from my mom’s ministrations. His face was priceless and it was so worth a picture.

“Oh sweetie, right I’m sorry,” as mom exaggeratedly placed her hands over her chest dramatically. “...it’s just that I never imagined my sweet daughter coming home with a man in tow. I mean, I imagined it but I never thought that this day would come. I just had to make sure that you are very real and not just a figment of my imagination. Andy didn’t mention that she’ll be coming here with you so it took me by surprise. Oh, you are so adorable standing here,” mom cooed non-stop, spluttering words like there’s no tomorrow as she clasped her hands excitedly.

I didn’t know what to make of my mom’s reaction really. Here I thought she’ll have her reservations when it comes to meeting a guy in my life – but then again Callum was the first ever guy I brought home so I didn’t really expect her reaction.

I wondered how my dad would react.

“A beautiful lady like you Mrs. Quinn should not apologize for welcoming warmly her guest. It is I that should ask for forgiveness for coming unannounced. This was a last minute decision on my part,” Callum charmingly replied.

My eyes almost bulged out of their socket when Callum dropped our bags on the side and gently grasped my mother’s hand and delicately placed a small kiss on the back of her palm as he smiled at her dazzlingly.

I rolled my eyes at him when I recovered as he winked subtly on my direction.

“What a charmer,” I muttered under my breath sarcastically.

“Oh such a gentleman,” mom giggled which almost made me vomit. “...and you have such a lovely accent Callum. Please call me Amanda, dear. I’m not that much old to be a grandmother but I constantly pray that my stubborn daughter here will finally give me a grandchild to brag about with my friends...”

Mom continued her endless chatter about wanting a grandchild, talking about me like I wasn’t standing beside her but my focus was on Callum as he gave me surreptitious glances with brows furrowing upon realizing what my mom was saying. 'Later,'I mouthed as I heaved a sigh.

“...oh don’t worry you’re always welcome here. But what did you say is your relationship with my daughter here?” Mom enquired sweetly which made me immediately froze on the spot.

Callum glanced at me deviously with a charming smile still etched on his fetching face which made me cautious on what he was really thinking. If he was anxious about this whole ordeal, he made a good job of masking it.