Chapter 11

I was done for the day, I thought glumly to myself as I exited the elevator of my apartment building which stopped at my floor. My mind was in a mess and I was a mess myself. I wasn’t much aware of my surroundings since my thoughts suddenly settled to the slices of blueberry cheesecakes waiting coolly and patiently inside the fridge so I skipped through the hallway eager to go inside the comforts of my humble apartment and indulge myself in the lusciousness and the goodness of that baked creation.

Ever been in a situation where something or someone materializes itself in front of you for it has been occupying all your thoughts all day? My subconscious and conscious mind were consumed over that one man who for a day graciously shook my world and he’s so generous of his presence for me that even right now while I was skipping along to my apartment, I could see him. I berated my mind for conjuring up the image of him leaning casually against the beige-coloured hallway next to my door.

Next thing I know, I’ll be seeing his face in my bowl of soup.  I snorted at that, I might be crazy then and I didn’t even know why he was affecting me this much.

My sanity might have been leaving me or my vision was playing a trick on me because that figure leaning next to my door gave me an amused smile while he didn’t falter on gazing at me. I stopped short on my tracks and blinked my eyes furiously and that’s when it hit me. My mind wasn’t making him up nor was I hallucinating. He was there in all his human glory looking as arresting as ever while dressed casually in a pair of dark jeans and fitted white tee under his black leather jacket.

Holy black forest cake with a cherry on top!

His freshly came-out-of-a-shower look with his slightly damp hair was tempting enough and I almost made a fool of licking my lips if not for that ghost of smirk that was starting to show on his lips. His lips that seemed inviting enough and images of what those luscious lips did on my body sprang forth to my mind and at that instant I felt my cheeks heating up.

Buonasera, Bella mia,” he greeted as he straightened himself.

“Callum...” I tentatively said. “This has been a surprise.” A surprise for me indeed, I thought wryly.

His expression changed into something I couldn’t quite recognize upon the mere mention of his name. He stared at me seriously and that was when anxiousness attacked me leading to the activation of my fight or flight response what’s with the thing that I was hiding from him. Well I didn’t plan on hiding it from him; I just had to find the right time to tell him.

“I was heading for a brighter reaction from you but this will do,” as he took in my frozen posture and the shocked expression with a sly smile playing on his lips.

I had yet to move my feet so I stepped back instinctively seeing as he was much closer to me now and I didn’t even notice when he approached me.

“I um...excuse me but I forgot something in my car,” I mumbled as my stilled brain started to function again after being stupefied by just the sheer presence of him. I turned on my heel with the need to flee but not before I caught the wide grin on his face.

“Okay, I’ll just wait for you inside then.”

That halted me as I twirled around almost getting a whiplash and looked at him questioningly.

He’s not serious right? And how would he enter my apartment?

 That’s when he fished out something from his back pocket and my eyes widened from seeing my front door key. It was unmistakably my key that I thought I lost what’s with that big-eyed panda keychain attached to it.

“How the fudge do you have my key?” as my feet brought me forward closer to where he was standing.

“Don’t be ireful and fret over it. If you forgot already then, I’m just as happy to remind you of when you gave it to me and maybe we can have a bit of a re-enactment then.” And that gall of a man winked at me suggestively and that’s when I had off pat everything.