Chapter 44 - Meeting

GREG

The recent events made me doubt on whether I should continue my quest. It didn't feel right to even feel happy when people I consider my family have been going through difficult times. In all honesty, what happened to Brian weirded me out. We have taken turns to visit him at the hospital since the fire and it was difficult for me to be at a place filled with so many sad memories. I felt bad about not coming to see Charlie when he was hospitalized and tried my best to do things differently this time. 

Yesterday, Brian received a skin graft on his damaged leg and I felt lightheaded at the sight of the wound. After excusing myself, I stood on the hallway until I felt strong enough to join him and Piper again. No one said a word, but it was obvious that the understood my reaction as they tried to cover the wound as good as possible. Brian kept a positive attitude and instead of talking about his misfortune, he told me about his plans for the fairgrounds once he returns. He also talked how he would like to build an adjacent house to the current one where he can live with Piper and Deirdre. Brian speaks with so much fondness about his daughter, someone he only knew about recently, that it makes me feel comfortable about becoming a father myself.

After the hospital visit, I came home to find that Ximena was still upstairs. I walked into the studio and her face showed immediate concern.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I went to see Brian. He's doing well and if he doesn't develop an infection in the coming days, he can go home."

"I'm certainly glad to hear that, but are you okay?"

"I don't know what to think or feel anymore. Many things will become clearer tomorrow and I'm certainly looking forward to that, but what if they don't find me suitable to adopt or even become a guardian?"

Ximena patted next to her on the couch and I sat next to her. She held my hand and looked into my eyes.

"If they don't find you suitable, they are the biggest idiots in this world. I know that if they give you the chance of taking care of Oliver, you'll do a great job. And yes, you'll make mistakes along the way too, but that's part of parenting. God knows sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing with Luke and Michael."

"If I didn't know better, I would think you are their real mother."

Ximena looked away for a moment, then busied herself organizing her things. "What will you wear?"

She then helped me to choose clothes for today and jokingly said that I needed to make a good impression; serious, but not frumpy. I must say her choice of clothes isn't what I would have picked for myself, stuff I didn't even know I owned, but I certainly feel confident in them. Maybe I should let her help me more often.

My heart races as I drive and I try to inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth to calm my nerves. The envelope on the passenger seat is filled with all the documents requested and any other I might need. I make a mental inventory and knowing the form is filled, that I have a copy of my passport and originals of my good behavior certificate, letters of recommendation, a salary letter from the university, my health certificate, and every document I could find from Sophia, including the email thread that started it all, gives me peace.

The intention of this meeting at the adoption agency is to find out if I'm eligible as a single man to adopt Oliver. I don't think I'll be able to meet him as it is Thursday and he's probably in school, but the idea that he's walked in the same place I'm about to visit makes me hopeful.

I feel grateful that Vivian will join me as her company gives me strength and peace. For the past years, I've felt hesitant about going out on dates, but Vivian is so patient and understanding. Our dates, contrary to the romance people expect, are filled with intelligent conversation and affection. We still need to have a proper conversation about where these feelings are heading at, but if she wants me, I feel ready to share my heart with her.