Chapter 26 - Bitter

LEWIS

The pain in my stomach subsides, but strength abandons me. I can't stand up anymore and end up sliding down the kitchen cupboard and sitting on the floor, the bitter bile still burning my throat. I hear the water running in the sink and then Ximena touches my forehead.

"You are also running a fever," she says.

"I can't be sick. I need to take care of the boys," I try to stand up, but the pain in my stomach returns so I stay where I am. "I need to go to the market tomorrow."

Ximena watches me while a small smile forms on her lips. "Lewis, you aren't going anywhere tomorrow. The only place you'll be is in your bed while you get better."

"But-"

"No arguments. Let's get you in bed. I'll take care of everything else."

I open my mouth to protest, but she looks at me in the same way my mom did when I was a child. I knew then I had no chance of changing her mind. After offering me her hands, she helps me to stand up and escorts me to the bathroom where she makes me sit on the lid of the toilet. She grabs my toothbrush, which easy to spot between the ones of my sons, and puts some toothpaste on it. While I brush my teeth, she rummages through the medicine cabinet and shakes her head.

"You only have medicines in here for children. I always carry some pain relief pills in my purse. Do you think you can stomach one to lower your fever?" She asks and I nod.

Ximena leaves the room and my stomach reminds me that my health is far from perfect. I manage to suppress the pain with antacids on a daily basis, but it doesn't get any better.

"Come with me, Lewis," Ximena calls from the hallway and I support myself from the wall as I meet her in front of my bedroom.

She opens the door for me and I crawl in bed fully clothed. I don't even feel bothered or flustered when I feel her hands on the button of my jeans and pulls them down, leaving me in my boxers.

"Can you move a bit? I want to get you under the covers."

I do as she asks with some difficulty, but get under the blankets and begin to shiver.

"How is this even possible? I felt fine an hour ago," I pull the covers closer and Ximena gets the throw from the chair in my room.

"I don't know, you could have caught a bug anywhere," she adds the throw on top of my bed sheets. "When kids are in school they seem to bring everything home. I don't have children, but the parents I babysat for always complained of that."

"That could be it. Could you please bring me the phone? I need to arrange things for tomorrow and possibly Monday."

"Tell me who I have to call and what do I have to say. I'll take care of it."

Ximena gives me the same look as before and I feel so ill that I just lean back on my pillows and accept that I need to rest.

"Please call Mary at the shop and tell her that I won't be able to make it to the market tomorrow. I have loaded the van already and maybe her son wants to give us a hand. He helps out when I go to Greenwood to visit my parents. Tell her to make a sales report and to ask John to make a start on Monday of whatever we miss. I will pay any extra time they incur."

The room spins after my last word and Ximena hands me a pill and a glass of water.

"Got it. Call Mary and ask for her son to help at the market and for John to make prepare anything missing in the inventory. You will compensate any extra time," she summarizes my instructions and I nod.