Chapter 8 - Fresh Bread

XIMENA

Jake Riley, lonely and heartbroken, left the memories of his harsh past behind to begin a new life in the coastal town of Oyster Harbor. Believing he's out of love since the death of his fiancée, the woman of his dreams and the love of his life, he takes up work doing the maintenance of an old bed and breakfast. His hostess, an elderly lady who reminded him so much of his grandmother, gave him a warm welcome. The steaming pot of tea on the kitchen table surrounded by works of embroidery, not only was charming, it was also healing.

After reading my first paragraph a few times I feel a sense of relief. It needs plenty of work, but it's more than I have been able to write in the last months. Usually my stories feature female characters, but I feel ready for a change.

What happened last night would have been enough to add to my bad funk, but thanks to Brian, I spent a memorable evening at the fairgrounds. Jaden was nowhere to be seen when we returned and we didn't mention him again. Brian made me laugh plenty with stories about his upbringing in this unique place and the crazy situations he experiences with the visitors. It seems that the Tunnel of Love is a magnet for people doing all sorts of naughty stuff which is caught by the security cameras in his office. His staff and him then get the pleasure of escorting the guests to the exit, encouraging them to find a place for their affection elsewhere. I grabbed a burger meal at the concessionary that he didn't want to charge me for but I paid for anyway. It didn't seem right anymore to accept free food from the locals. Then I treated him to a bag of candy that we shared on the steps of the porch of his lovely home. He brought me to Greg's place afterwards and we said goodbye with a warm hug.

Warm. I know I have groceries in my cupboards, but Charlie's warm bread comes to mind. After getting dressed properly for the chilly weather outside I head downstairs and see Greg's car parked on the driveway. The lights in his home are off and it's quiet inside so I try to make as little noise as possible when I step outside. The walk to the café is short but I take my time to enjoy the sounds of the neighborhood waking up. The sea is choppy today, crashing hard against the rocks and sending sprays of water into the air.

The smell of fresh baked bread welcomes me as I open the door of the café. Charlie is busy in the kitchen. Sensing somebody is watching him, he grins and waves when he spots me.

"Hey, Ximena. How are you?" He comes out of the kitchen, wearing a red apron over his clothes.

"I'm well, thanks. Came to buy some of your fresh bread."

"I knew it! You only like me for my bread," he feigns insult, making me laugh. "Why don't you have breakfast? You can use the bread for your lunch."

"No need to convince me as I feel lazy today. Can I have a plain omelet, some of that nice bread and a big cup of coffee?"

"Coming up!" He says and motions to someone to serve me coffee.

The café is still empty, so I grab my mug of coffee and walk into the kitchen. He sings softly to himself while he cooks.

"Coming to steal my recipes? Are you a spy posing as a writer?" He asks. "I was about to ask you if you wanted to come back here. We think alike."

"I was curious to learn what happens in here. It's always good to make research for a future book."

"As long as you don't make me a character and kill me," he laughs. "I love having company while I cook, and now that you are here, I will abuse your help. Can you pass me a carton of eggs?"

Ingredients are stacked neatly on shelves and I have trouble holding the large and wobbly carton of eggs, but manage to bring them safely to the counter. He chops ingredients that he then places in steel bowls. Cooking for a business is hard work, but it suits him and he looks content.

He plates my steamy omelet and I regret not ordering bacon with it. He has some slices on the grill that look very inviting. He catches on what I'm thinking and adds some to my plate, then gets a bar stool and sets it nearby.

"Are you enjoying Lonstino so far?"

"I'm getting acquainted with the town. Yesterday I went to the fairgrounds and met Brian."

"Is it true that you punched him?"

"How do you know that?" I feel slightly ashamed at my behavior the night before. 

"News around here travel fast. You'll find out soon that no secret is safe. Be especially careful around the ladies at the Saturday market. They like to embellish stories."

"Noted. I'm glad he forgave me for punching him. I was in a particularly pissed mode."

"Also heard that Jaden was being... Jaden. He's one of my best friends and he's a good guy, but his mouth has no filter. So bear with him while he figures out how to behave around you."

"Behave around me? What does that even mean?"

"It doesn't happen every day that a beautiful woman like you arrives at Lonstino."

He leans back against the counter opposite me and I feel myself blushing.

"No need to feel embarrassed about the truth," he caresses my cheeks tenderly.

I close my eyes to enjoy the soft caress and then I feel his breath close to my lips.

"Charlie..." I place a hand on his chest to stop him. "I'm not here to start a relationship with anyone. Once my book draft is done I'll go back."

"I understand," he takes a step back and gets busy cleaning the cooking plate. "And what are your plans for today?" He asks without looking at me.

"Write some more and then visit the confectionery story of Greg's brother in law. Yesterday I had a taste of one of the sinful cookies he makes."

"Were those the peanut brittle ones?" He glances at me briefly and I nod. "They are good. Whenever I go there I get fudge and chili chocolate, but many tourists can't get enough of his salt water taffy. He supplies the café with special sweets during the holiday season. They usually sell out before lunch."

"Did you just say chili? As in the pepper type?"

"Yeah, it one of those combinations that you either love or hate. Like caramel and salt. You should try all of his chocolates. I always have a bowl of those in our house. Jessica is always lecturing me for leaving delicious stuff that stays on the hips," he chuckles and then we get interrupted when an order comes in.

"I'm looking forward to the experience," I say when he gets busy again behind the stove.

"And how's your book coming along?"

"I have one paragraph," I laugh.

"Well, that is a start. Before you know your book will be done."

I like Charlie's positive attitude and after finishing my meal, I return to the apartment, with a loaf of bread that I have trouble trying not to eat on the way, to continue writing. The sky turns dark as I work and a few drops splatter on the window from time to time. When I feel I've done enough, I'm surprised to see that the word counter shows I've written over two thousand words. Grabbing an umbrella, I follow the directions to the store Greg gave me. I hope the heavy rain spares me as I walk outside. I love rain as it brings the perfect atmosphere for writing. Getting drenched by rain is another story.