Since the grounds were organically maintained they weren't calendar-like picture perfect instead they were like nature was given free rein. Trees were close and far growing as they pleased and rose to heights that manicured trees wouldn't. Apple, cherry, peach, pear and plum trees grew all around. Some ripe ones fell to the ground.

"Would you like to see our prized possession?" Rose said turning to Matt holding his gaze for a moment.

Matt's eyes softened at that and he nodded a moment later.

Rose moved towards an almost 20 feet tree which seemed like two trees bound together laden with apples shining golden red in the sunlight. From the trunk the branches spread out in different directions but if you saw it from afar it looked like two pieces of heart bound in the centre.

In some of the branches hung red apples and some bright golden ones. Matt's face confused more and more as he looked at the tree and he eventually asked, "How is it possible?"

"It's a biennial. Two apple trees took roots really close and grew up merging together. They've maintained their individuality as well as created new fruits."

Fishing a pocket knife from her pocket she plucked all three different apples from the tree one by one, polishing them on her jacket lapel, cut slices with expertise offering them one by one to Matt as well as Robert and Sonya.

All three apples tasted different. But the most distinct was the golden red one. Matt almost moaned biting into it. Rose smiled broadly at that.

"Moving on to our next prized possession" Rose made her way towards the hives. Like the trees the hives too seemed placed haphazardly. Some were on the ground, some placed around tree trunks and some on the branches.

Pointing to a hive on the branches of a cherry tree, Rose said, "That's where our Queen resides. She's not just the reason behind the hives we have but many others around our orchard as well as some that we've exported."

"Safe to say you just showed me your weaknesses?!" Matt smiled at Rose questioning her judgement.

"I don't keep all eggs in one basket. Besides that wasn't the hive where the Queen stays. And we have grafted trees out from the biennial the week I bought this orchard."

"Someone is well-prepared not to lose," Matt said thining his lips.

"I don't let things I love face a fight ever," Rose said with a hard face. Matt's face turned wistful at that.

"Why don't you move towards the office?! Lunch is ready. I'll be joining you in a few minutes."

Matt answered staring at the empty space ahead, "I insist on being near you. I'll have lunch with you."

Rose and Sonya both huffed out a breath of irritation. Rose turned away from Matt towards the thick of the orchard followed closely by Sonya and Mr.Kurt. Matt and Robert followed a few feet away.

Rose and Sonya followed Mr.Kurt as he showed them what seemed the centre of the orchard, it was dense with trees surrounding a small opening which had a hive shaped like a big boulder which seemed like it housed the Queen.

"The Queen has been moved here with her hive a month ago and is steadily expanding the hive. We should be able to meet our expansion target if the spring and summer favor as expected for the next two years."

Rose nodded solemnly. Mr. Kurt said the motion sensors around the orchard have been activated since then. Any unknown activity would alert the team before they get anywhere near the 500 feet radius of the hive.

Rose looked relieved. Circling the buzzing hive once muttering a prayer silently Rose turned away from the hive followed by the others.

A sumptuous lunch awaited them at the office. Chicken was from a poultry farm, bread from a bakery nearby and the herbs used in preparation were grown in the kitchen garden part of the orchard. Asparagus, mushrooms, baby potato and carrots had a melt in your mouth sweetness.

Everyone ate after a silent prayer. The conversation was light and upbeat mostly about the weather expected for the upcoming days and the expansion plans.

Rose and Matt sat absorbed in the environment around them speaking only when spoken to.

"So Matt, how do you know our Miss Rose?", asked Mrs. Washington winking at Rose while she asked.

Oh dear Lord....

Trust in the universe stuffing you in a room full of quasi-parents who wish to see you settle down in the presence of the least likely candidate.

Rose took a bite even more silently as if that were possible considering she already seemed to be in stealth mode, trying to blend into the background.

Matt looked up from his plate and colored visibly thinking of their first encounter.

Sonya coughed uncomfortably.

Robert offered Sonya a glass of water which made her glare at him with anger enough which made her eyes seem infrared.

Matt spoke cryptically, "It wasn't exactly a planned meeting. More like a chance encounter", tugging his neck tie loose as if talking about the instance made him uncomfortable.

"I did most of the talking and since we were both pressed for time we didn't get to talk properly about business terms until the next few properly planned and conducted meetings."

"Planned and conducted?!" Mrs. Washington repeated.

"Kids these days plan so much they don't leave anything to unexpected possibilities."

Rose and Matt looked at each other at that very moment.

Unexpected possibilities...

"Matt, you are the first guy to accompany Rose here."

"He came uninvited," Sonya muttered but it was loud enough for everyone to hear.

Rose looked at Sonya with silent admonishment.

"Matt's a prospective partner for a new project we might liaise on, Mrs. Washington." Rose explained.

"Oh we're definitely going to liaise on that project, I've been assuring Rose about that ever since but she is a stiff accountant kind of a person. No agreeing to possibilities unless they are on paper," Matt said teasingly.

"Rose has always been an all-aboard kind of person. Either she's all in or not bothered at all," Mrs. Washington said proudly.

Life truly is difficult when you have so many parent figures bragging all around...

Rose smiled at Mrs. Washington simply and said," You shouldn't brag so much about me in my presence. It might all go to my head, Mrs. Washington."

"Oh it hasn't since ever and I can bet my annual salary it won't in the future either, Rosey!" Mrs. Washington said beaming at Rose.

"Okay enough about me hows your granddaughter doing?"

"She's doing really well at the school you suggested. Has made a lot of friends from different backgrounds and this experience is really humbling for her."

"I went to the same place for my last years of schooling. It was an enlightening experience for me."

"Modern High Elementary?!" asked Matt which made Rose and Sonya turn towards him sharply.

Rose's face again resembled granite as she replied stoically, "No. I finished my schooling at Brooklyn High."

"I was home-schooled," Matt said as if trying to cover the fact that he was being snoopy.

"Didn't make much difference," Sonya muttered loud enough for everyone again. Robert glared at Sonya for that. Sonya answered with a defiant stare-back.

"We should leave before the traffic delays our return," Rose said seeing everyone was done with lunch moving towards the exit.

Matt closed the distance between them and spoke, "Robert and I will be riding with you."

Rose turned abruptly which made her bump into him. Looking at Matt, Rose said, "You ask too much," and stormed off towards her car followed by Sonya.

Vote, comment, share and follow if you like what you read.

XOXOXO

RS