"Same as always," Madame replied, "what brings you here?"

"I... ehm... lockermyselfoutofmyapartment."

Madame raised one eyebrow.

"And you're counting on my help in breaking back in?" she asked, the faintest hint of a smile creeping into her expression.

"Nonono," Lex answered quickly, "I just need to wait for Levi to come back, then he can let me in. But he won't be back until three-ish, and well, you said the other day that I was always welcome here, I figure I'd stop by, and—"

Madame stepped aside so Lex could walk into the apartment.

"Come in, Lex, I can't bear to listen to your rambling on my doorstep."

Lex shut his mouth, and walked into the apartment.

That's got to be the strangest way I've ever been invited into anyone's house.

Lex narrowed his eyes.

Actually... now that I think of it, this is probably the ONLY time I've been invited into anyone's house.

"The living room's to your left," Madame directed him, and Lex obeyed without so much as a second thought.

The short passage was like a Narnian wardrobe — once you walked past the thick jackets, it was like you entered a whole new world.

"That's... that's got to cost a fortune..." Lex mumbled, soaking in the fancy chandelier, plush couch, antique coffee table and rich Persian carpet.

"My job came with a proper pension," Madame shrugged, walking past him to the kitchen, "not the meagre scraps that people are provided with these days. It's like they're trying to make you dependent on them or something. But go ahead and sit, the furniture doesn't bite."

Lex smiled, and carefully made his way to the cheapest-looking chair, which was as soft as a cloud and more expensive than a year's worth of catfood.

"This place is beautiful," Lex remarked, raising his voice slightly so it would carry to the kitchen.

"Why thank you," Madame replied, rummaging around in the kitchen out of Lex's sight, "I've been told I have a very particular style, not everybody can appreciate it."

Lex chuckled.

"And I'm sure not everyone can afford it either."

Madame echoed his laugh, reappearing from the kitchen with a tray of chocolate chip cookies.

"Would you like some coffee, or tea? I might even have whisky too, but I think it's a bit early for that sort of beverage."

"Coffee would be excellent, thank you," Lex replied, and Madame put the tray of cookies on the coffee table with a nod, before walking back to the kitchen. Lex stared at the cookies, which seemed to be taunting him with their golden brown colour, but he didn't dare to take one until Madame was back, unsure of what her policies on etiquette were.

The sound of a coffee machine gurgling to life drifted from the kitchen to Lex's spot on the chair, and he shifted his position as his nose caught onto the scent of freshly ground beans. If he'd known Madame had a coffee machine, perhaps he would've stopped by earlier.

A few minutes later, Madame walked into the living room holding two expensive-looking teacups — one filled with coffee, one filled with green tea (no doubt with a squirt of lemon, two drops of milk and a sugarcube). Two engraved teaspoons stuck out of the respective beverages, and Lex was almost scared to accept the cup, afraid he'd drop it. He took it nonetheless, mumbling an awed "thank you" to Madame.