Twenty four

Freya's POV

I shivered inside the cell. Clinging my arms together for warmth, I watched Ryker as he sat upon his throne. He was focused on a map laid out on his knees.

Chests filled with stolen gold and dragon eggs lined the walls. Several guards stood by the door whilst the rest were beside the cages.

Directly opposite me, Swiftstrike continuously growled in a low, menacing threat. Her sharp eyes flickered between me and Ryker, her tail swishing, impatient.

Despite what I had told Ryker, he hadn't let me be with Swiftstrike. This was the closest we'd been - likely due to the fact that he didn't trust me not to escape. No-one had needed hypnotising yet, so eye contact across the room was the only reunion we could have.

Before I'd thought of way to convince Ryker into letting us stay in the same cage, the doors burst open. Everyone jumped up as several guards stepped through. Ryker's eyes narrowed.

"I told you to only inturupt me if there was an emergency," he stated, unimpressed. "You know the consequences." He brushed his fingers along a sword.

The hunter at the front shook his head. "It isn't that sir, not at all. We have caught a prisoner."

Ryker rolled his eyes. "Lock them up with the dragons then. We'll deal with them later."

"But sir, he's a Dragon Rider!"

I gasped. Ryker sat up in his seat, a cruel smile slithering onto his face. He beckoned for the prisoner to be brought in. Swiftstrike seemed to notice the change in atmosphere as she went silent, her movement becoming more anxious. I watched from my cage, trying to keep my face blank.

"Ow! Hey, be careful!"

I knew that voice... Gustav?

Ryker scowled as Gustav was pushed forwards. His skinny frame was almost snapped in half by the large guards as they forced him to kneel in front of the raised throne.

"Who's this?" Ryker glared at the guards, not recognising the leader of the A-team.

Suddenly uncertain, the soldier began to sweat. "He was riding a crazy monstrous nightmare. The beast kept thrashing about-"

"There's more of them?!" Ryker snapped, standing.

Had he not known about the A-team?

"More dragon riders?!"

"I, uh, well- "

"Damnit! Put the scum in the empty cage and prepare the dragon for hypnosis," he demanded, walking down. He turned to me. I resisted the urge to shrink on myself.

"Freya," Ryker spat, "come with me. Time to see if you really do know this monster."

Two guards lifted the heavy locking mechanism of my cage and each grabbed one of my arms. I struggled, but they only tightened their grip. At the same time, Gustav was being picked up and thrown into a cage and Swiftstrike's cell was being surrounded. Numerous guards stood around the opening of her cage, holding dragon root weapons towards her. Hissing, Swiftstrike straightened, but it was clear she would obey: she knew that it was futile.

Ryker grabbed me from the soldiers and shoved me towards Swiftstrike. Her eyes landed on mine and she cooed slightly.

"Get the beast to cooperate or we'll feed yer to the dragons."

I nodded, stumbling forwards. I faced Swiftstrike.

"Hey girl," I began, approaching the bars. She followed my movements with her strong gaze. "We need to stay calm, yeah? I know they hurt you but we can't go firing at them - no matter how much they deserve it."