Ten

Freya's POV

Just keep smiling. You haven't seen him in a long time, maybe he's changed.

"Freya?" Ryker gasped.

"That's my name," I confirmed with a forced grin.

His nose was scrunched up, as it always did when he was put on the spot. Clearly he was thinking of what to say. His lack of response irritated me. I knew I had caught him off-guard, but still! He hadn't considered that we might meet, as the potential leaders of the Dragon Hunters?

Calm down, Freya.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

Forcing out any self-doubt, I took the lead. "I could ask you the same thing, brother," I stepped towards him.

He frowned. "I thought it was quite clear," he grumbled, returning back to normal as the shock slowly wore off.

"Yes, attacking Hiccup - one of my sources of information on what's happened - is very useful, thank you," I retorted sarcastically, ignoring the hypocrisy. Locking my eyes on Ryker's, I tried to signal to Hiccup to leave with my hand. He didn't move an inch.

"Well, your source is unreliable and most definitely biased," he countered. "People will say anything to please someone."

"Well, I was spying on them at the time so there was no way he knew to 'please me'." I mumbled, slightly embarrassed that I'd have to admit to doing that. Hiccup took a small breath but Ryker didn't acknowledge it.

"You do know that he was the cause of Viggo's death?" he shot back, ignoring the fact I had just proved him wrong. I rolled my eyes, trying to get under his skin.

"Yeah, no. Which source told you that?" I placed a hand on my hip. He seemed shocked by my sass. Last time we saw each other I had barely said anything, too awkward to interact. Well, I still am, but I got much better at faking.

"Johann-" he began, but I cut him off right there.

"Well there's your problem!" I snapped. "Please tell me you didn't believe him after he and Krogan betrayed Viggo?" His eyebrows shot up. I forced my face to remain neutral. "According to multiple dragon hunters, and a witness, Johann ordered Krogan to shoot the entrance to a one-way cave to seal him in," I explained smoothly.

Furious, Ryker turned to Hiccup accusingly. "He was there, though. If you're so sure, sister, then explain that!"

"I'm sure he could do a thousand time better job than me," I explained, turning to Hiccup.

"Viggo tricked me into going... to this island. He said that he poisoned Toothless and only he knew the cure," he forced out, surprised that the pressure had been put on him. "He wanted my help in getting revenge."

"You expect me to believe that?" Ryker yelled, holding up his sword. My eyes widened.

"Um, yeah," I cut in, his eyes now piercing mine, "both sides say so. Ask any guard that was there. Maybe even the ones who shot Viggo?" I knew he couldn't do that, I had knocked them out cold at the news, but that wasn't important.

Ryker looked as if he had been slapped. I looked past him and saw Swiftstrike quick at work.

"Why didn't he tell me?" he murmured.

"You guys were never close," I retorted, pinching myself to hold back my anger. "I'm sure your relationship didn't get better when he, the younger brother, became chief instead of you. I bet you didn't even tell him you survived?"

"Oh, and I suppose Viggo told you then?" Ryker snapped, avoiding my point.

I smirked, and it grew when I saw that Swiftstrike had managed to dissolve the bolas. "No, but I check my facts."