2.7

1 month later

"What the hell happened to you?!"

"Isn't that obvious?" Shi Zixin says lightly, flicking the arrow embedded in her shoulder. Shi Zixin lightly flinches at how the wood reverberates throughout her body, a completely odd sensation that is hard to put into words. "I got stabbed by a knife."

"Now is not the time to be joking around," Gang Meili snaps at Shi Zixin. Shi Zixin merely gives a sheepish smile. The doctor rolls her eyes before she grabs the commander by the unhurt right shoulder. Before Shi Zixin can react, Gang Meili pushed Shi Zixin onto the bed.

Currently, Gang Meili is the only one on duty. After all, it's half past nine and most are already in bed. The only reason she was in here is in case of any late-night incidents.

Gang Meili had thought that rule was stupid until Shi Zixin came in.

"We're nowhere near a battlefield, for gods' sake! How'd this happen?" she asks. Gang Meili turns her back on Shi Zixin, getting out materials to patch up the wound. 

"New recruits," Shi Zixin grumbles. "They were inspired by Fu Junjie's speech on him working extra to get far. Somehow, they thought that shooting arrows at night at random objects fit this 'extra training.'"

I swear, those idiots get dumber and dumber with each new group. Is there an idiot serum in the water?

"Now, I'm not here for you to reprimand me," Shi Zixin says. "I merely do not have all the tools in my tent for me to do this on my own."

"What are you talking about- NO-!"

Gang Meili had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing Shi Zixin pull out the arrow with their right hand. Shi Zixin looks up innocuously, ignoring the blood spurting out onto their blue tunic.

"What?"

"Why would you pull it out when I was just about to?" Gang Meili facepalms as she steps closer. "I swear, you're just like a child!"

"I don't know what child would get shot with an arrow," Shi Zixin jokes. Gang Meili gives the commander a stern glare.

"I'm serious. If you pulled it out wrong, your muscles could've become damaged and you'd be sent home," Gang Meili informs.

Shi Zixin raises an eyebrow. "You don't want to see me go? How sweet, I didn't know you cared, doctor."

Gang Meili scoffed. "Hardly. You're the one who's giving me my pension."

Shi Zixin gave a light gasp of shock at this. "And what I thought we had was special."

The doctor snorts at this. "Alright, commander, please let me do my job and sew up your wound."

"That's quite alright," Shi Zixin says, sitting up from the cot that she was forced upon. "All I needed to do here was see your lovely face-"

"Then you can put down the gauze, commander."

Shi Zixin held up the bundle of gauze in her hand. "Oh? This? It's for a friend."

"Mmhm."

Shi Zixin sighs. "I'm sorry, doctor, but I'd like to take care of this myself."

"Are you afraid of doctors?"

"Hardly," Shi Zixin responds. "I just have some things I'd like to do myself."

Gang Meili evaluates the situation before sighing. "I don't know if this is the right thing for me to do...but I...I trust you."

Shi Zixin gives a short smile at this. "Thank you, docto-"