it reminded me (Draco Malfoy)

In the wise words of Ronald Billius Weasley; "its one thing for a guy to go alone. But for a girl to go without a date... That's just sad."

Oh, how right he was! I had been sitting alone for far too long, and I began to think I should just go back to my dormatory. Call it a night, toss in the bag, whatever. I never really fancied the idea of the Yule Ball anywho.

As I stood up and crossed the floor, I waved to Hermione. I was on the verge of tears as I quickly walked down the corridor, the click on my heels and my quick, shallow breaths the only noise heard.

As I turned the corner, my body clashed with another; earning grunts from the both of us. The boy had gripped my arms to help prevent me from falling in my face in these heels.

"What's the matter?" The voice of my fellow Slytherin ran out, making me sigh.

"You'll laugh," I told Malfoy, trying to get out of his grip. "Let me go. I just want to be alone."

"No you don't," he shook his head, moving his hands down to fall into mine. "You want anything but to be alone. You want someone with you. More than just present, of course," he stared into my eyes. "You, miss (L/N), want a date. A boyfriend, a friend... Someone to dance with."

"Sod off, Malfoy," I rolled my eyes, looking away from him. "Go ahead and laugh, I don't care."

"Why would I laugh if you're this upset about it?" He frowned. "Come in, we can go back in there and dance together."

"Funny," I sniffled, letting him remove his hands from mine as I wiped away my tears.

He pulled a tissue from his pocket and moved my hands, softly dabbing the tears from my face. "I'm not joking," he whispered, handing me the tissue. "Come on, the night had only just started," he laced his fingers with mine. "Imagine the look on Saint Potter's face when his ex-girlfriend waltzes in with Draco Malfoy on her arm."

I smiled lightly. "You're not going to make fun of me, are you?" I asked him, sniffling a little bit more.

"Never," he told, then lead me towards the hall. He opened the door with his free arm, and then took my waist. He slow danced me in his arms, right towards Harry, smirking in his face as I leaned my head against his chest.

I had a crush on Draco for about two years before Harry and I got together, just before Sirius arrived. Around six months later, just after Christmas, he broke up with me because of what happened with You-Know-Who trying to revive himself. He wanted me to be safe, but he didn't even stay as my friend like he said, so the rivalry stuck between us.

But right now, dancing with Draco, I could see the pain in Harry's face. It's the same hurt that I saw in the mirror every night for a month after Harry dumped me. It serves him right.

"Hey, love, why don't we go somewhere? I've wanted to how you something for a long time," he said to me, just loud enough for Harry to hear. "But you've been dating Saint Potter, and I haven't been able to," he added. "I know you'll love it."

"Lead the way," I smiled at him innocently.

"Excuse me," Harry cut in. "May I have this dance?" He extended his hand to me.

"Sorry, Potter, this beautiful lady is with me tonight," Draco said warningly. "Go back to your own date."

Harry huffed and left, his eyes not leaving mine as he walked away. Soon enough, Draco and I had made our way to the astronomy tower.

We climbed to the very top, somewhere I had never been brave enough to go, and he turned to me and smiled. "Sorry about the stairs and your heels," he chuckled lightly. "Hand them to me," he held out his hand kindly.

I kicked my black heels off my feet and handed them to him. He placed them down by the telescope, pointing to it. "I told my father that you loved the night sky," he let out quietly. "So he got the school a telescope. Something muggles use to inspect the stars."

"I know what it is, Draco," I laughed, then decided to ask him about it. "You told your father about me?"

"A while ago. Just before you started dating Potter," he told me. "Have a look," he gestured. "Be careful, it's pointed at the moon, it will take a long time to move it back if you shift it."

I smiled softly and leaned down to look into the optical. It was beautiful. There were craters on the moon, some deep and some shallow.

"Do you like it? My father insisted it was the best one the world had made," Draco told me.

"Why am I so interesting that you told your father about me?" I blurted out, not thinking.

He blushed slightly. "I told him about you early last year, before you and Harry Potter got together because... Well..."

"Go on, spit it out," I laughed at him.

"I liked you a fair amount," he whispered, making my stomach knot itself. "I would think about asking you out constantly, but then... He stole you away from me. That night, when you and Potter had disappeared all night, I was beyond jealous. I was told that people had seen you both headed down to Hagrid's. But when I got there, you weren't there. He told me that you'd left. I heard you in the woods; yelling Harry's name," he told me softly, making me grab his hand. "And my heart broke. I saw you kiss him in the woods. I left as quickly as I could. I came up here to the telescope, right here," he grabbed my hands and placed them around the back of his neck. "And I look up at the stars. They reminded me so much of how happy you are, laying on the couch in the common room, staring out the window to look at them; or the night that the Fat Lady was missing, and you were asleep next to me... They reminded me of the way the light shines off your skin so perfectly," he sighed. "But yesterday, when I was here, it reminded me... Even though I'm a foul git to you, they reminded me, that all this time... I've still been in love with you. That's never changed."

My heart pounded in my chest as he held my waist. I pressed my lips against his quickly, and he melted into my lips. He pulled me closer, and my arms hung around his neck. He softly kissed me back, the moonlight around both of us.

We separated from each other and he smiled. "I love you," he admitted.

"Draco, I..." I couldn't stop anything from coming out of my mouth. "I loved you before I dated Harry. I loved you while I was dating Harry. Hell, I love you more than I ever thought I did."

"At least we're on the same page," he smiled at me, then kissed my lips once more. "Be mine," he mumbled. "Be mine and I will treat you like the Princess that you are."

"I will always be yours, Draco."