20

"Hey, Singh. What are you doing here?" Sheriff Stilinski asked.

"I was just looking for you. Could you write a recommendation for me? I'm trying to get a job for over the summer and they want a recommendation from a teacher or mentor and you fit into both categories." Rita said, smiling up at him.

"Of course. Come with me into my office. I can write it right now." Sheriff Stilinski said. Rita followed him and saw Deputy Parrish and Deputy Haigh looking at a computer, puzzled at what they were finding. Stilinski heard their conversation and started walking their way, making Rita nervous to be so close to Parrish.

"Hale?" Stilinski asked. He looked to the picture on the computer to the boy over and over again and even got up close to the boy. Scott, Jude, and Stiles stumbled in and Stilinski knew what that meant.

"I'll handle this. Rita, stay here." Stilinski said. Scott saw Rita and smiled at her. She smiled back and waved at him, making him smile wider. Stilinski, Jude, Scott, and Stiles went into Stilinski's office leaving Rita alone.

"You can take a seat while you wait, if you'd like." Parrish offered, while rolling up a chair. He didn't want her to sit next to the boy since she wasn't being detained.

"Thank you." She said, quietly and sat down.

"Hey, Rita." A group of deputies greeted as she passed by.

"Hi." Rita smiled.

"You're really popular around here, huh?" Parrish questioned. Rita nodded shyly, blushing at the sight of his smile.

"She's everyone's favorite junior officer." Deputy Haigh said, patting Rita's shoulder. Parrish was surprised by Haigh's sudden kindness.

"You want to join the police force?" Parrish asked.

"Yes. Ever since I was little." Rita smiled. Parrish was about to continue the conversation but was called away. Rita sat quietly and noticed the scared boy sitting in the cold plastic chairs.

"Hey, what's your name?" Rita asked, rolling towards him making him flinch slightly.

"Derek." He said, quietly.

"I'm Rita." She smiled, holding out her hand. He gave her a hesitant smile back and took her hand to shake it.

"How old are you?" Rita asked.

"Fifteen. You?" Derek asked back. She was happy that he was going along with the conversation since she saw how he wouldn't talk to the deputies.

"I just turned seventeen." Rita said.

"Do you have any siblings?" Rita asked, after coming up with another question. He looked less tense which made her happy.

"Yeah, two sisters." Derek replied.

"I have a twin brother." Rita said. They continued conversing, she even made him laugh showing her that she gained his trust.

"Rita." Stiles whispered, calling her over. She excused herself and went into the room with Stiles, Scott, and Stilinski.

"Does he trust you?" Stiles asked.

"As much as someone could trust a person after one conversation." Rita shrugged.

"That's good enough." Stiles said, looking at Scott. They called Derek in as Stilinski left.

"Derek, these are my friends." Rita said, sitting down next to Derek.

"I'm her boyfriend." Scott said, smiling at Rita.

"He's my boyfriend." Rita mumbled, shyly.

"His name is Scott, the one next to him is Stiles, and that's my twin brother, Jude, the one I was telling you about. They have something to tell you that will help you feel less confused so just hear them out." Rita continued. Derek nodded but held her hand, still feeling uneasy. She smiled softly at the younger boy and looked at the older boys who had started speaking. She felt how tense he was and started tracing circles on the back of his hand, calming him down.

"We'll take them back to you as soon as we get your memories back." Scott said. Derek looked at Rita for reassurance and she nodded.

"You can trust them- trust us." Rita said. Derek nodded and looked back to the boys and agreed.

-

"Just gonna wait here for Scott. Gonna sir quietly and we're not gonna call or talk to anyone." Stiles said to Derek who was still holding Rita's hand.

"So, I don't have to talk to you?" Derek asked.

"No." Stiles said.

"Can I talk to you?" Derek asked, looking at Rita. She nodded, giving him a smiled.

"Great- but who's gonna talk to him?" Derek asked. Rita let go of Derek's hand, not wanting Scott's dad to think wrongly about her.

"What are guys doing here?" Mr. McCall asked.

"We're waiting for Scott." Stiles and Rita said.

"Me too, we were supposed to have dinner together. I have extra, are you guys hungry?" Mr. McCall asked.

"No." Stiles said.

"Yes." Derek said. The two boys looked at each other, then looked at Rita for clarification.

"We could eat." Rita said, nervously trying to be polite.

"What's your name?" Mr. McCall asked the younger boy.

"De,"

"Miguel- he's my cousin from Mexico." Stiles said. Mr. McCall spoke to Derek in Spanish and Derek replied, surprising the two human teens.

"Alright, well, let's dig in." Mr. McCall said. The three teenagers and Mr. McCall sat down and served themselves food.

"You're Rita, right?" Mr. McCall asked. Rita looked up quickly and nodded. Mr. McCall chuckled at her reaction and looked back at his food.

"So what's your last name, Miguel?" Mr. McCall asked.

"Juar- Rita is Scott's girlfriend." Stiles said, changing the conversation. Rita choked on her chicken and glared at Stiles.

"You are? Scott's never mentioned you. He's only mentioned Lydia Martin and Kira Yukimura- mostly Kira." Mr. McCall said. Rita looked down at her chopsticks and put them down to grab a fork instead. Derek noticed how upset she got and decided to change the conversation.

"You're an FBI agent?" Derek asked. Rita looked at him, grateful that he changed the topic.

"He's low level. Very low level. He doesn't even have a voice." Stiles said as McCall nodded.

"So do you investigate murders?" Derek asked, intrigued.

"Sometimes. When it's a Federal crime." McCall shrugged.

"What about fires?" Derek asked.

"Oh my God, I wonder where Scott is.Shouldn't Scott be here by now? We should call Scott." Stiles said, frantically.

"Let him take his time." Rita grumbled, still wallowing in self-pity.

"What kind of fires are you talking about?" McCall asked.

"Do you know anything about the Hale family?" Derek asked. McCall stopped eating and looked up at him.

"They were killed in a fire years ago. There were only three survivors." McCall said. He went to reach for a napkin and spilled his iced tea.

"Oops, I spilled the tea." He said. The teens excused themselves and dragged an angry Derek upstairs.