15

"Shut up and drink your stupid grape juice." Jude said, getting out the car. Rita had been annoying him, asking if she still looked sick or telling him how anxious she was about going back to school since Isaac wouldn't be there to hang out with her.

"Can we visit Isaac?" Rita asked. Jude nodded but dashed towards Scott who was wolfed out.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" Jude asked, taking Scott's helmet and shoving it on Scott. Jude glanced at Kira and checked if she was hurt. Rita caught up with Jude and saw Scott trying to take off the helmet. She helped him and gasped. Rita had never seen him like this, she'd only ever seen Jude and Michelle. Scott looked away, embarrassed that she saw him like that but she gave him a small smile.

"Not only are you the hot girl, you're the hot wolf too." Rita said, nudging him playfully. He smiled at her, showing his teeth, but closed his mouth quickly. The two watched Jude take Kira away, still worried that she had gotten hurt or that she would tell someone.

"I was showing her on purpose, Jude. She's supernatural too." Scott said, as they walked away. Jude stopped and looked at Kira then back at Scott. Rita was kind of hurt that he had showed Kira his wolf form before her but she reminded herself that she was just a human so why would he show her. She looked up at him and saw him back to his normal form.

"I'm gonna get going. Seems like you have business with Kira and Jude." Rita mumbled and started walking away but Scott stopped her.

"I don't think I'm going to come to you at night anymore or be able to go to the dance." Scott said. He had decided, after seeing that those demonic ninjas attacked him at night, that maybe it wouldn't be best to be with Rita after dark. He didn't want her to get hurt because of him but she already did.

"Okay." Rita said, avoiding eye contact. She took her arm away from his grip and started walking away quickly, pushing past Jude and Kira. She bumped into Allison but continued walking. Allison followed Rita to her locker, knowing something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" Allison asked.

"It's nothing. I just should stick to going out with girls since boys are too stupid to take a fucking hint." Rita said. Allison realized it was about Scott and saw Scott opened his locker and glance at the two girls.

"What do you mean?" Allison asked taking it upon herself to help Scott and Rita talk about their feelings.

"I like Scott a lot- a little more than you like Isaac- and I asked him to a dance that my old school is throwing and he said yeah but now he cancelled and it's like he's pushing himself away from me and closer to Kira," Rita started, waving her hands around as she spoke. Allison glanced at Scott, making sure he was listening and nodded when she saw he was.

"And I don't want him close to Kira. I want him close to me but I get why he's getting close to Kira, y'know. She nice and pretty and she's supernatural. Of course he's going to gravitate to her- birds of a feather flock together- but I just feel like giving up, it's obvious he likes Kira so why even try." Rita said, closing her locker.

"It seems like you can't take a hint either." Allison said. Rita looked at her confused and crossed her arms.

"What do you mean?" Rita asked.

"Scott likes you, Rita. He's been sneaking into your room for weeks to help you sleep, he left a party to take you to the hospital when you were sick and stayed with you until Jude came, and when you were home sick he wouldn't stop asking about you- he's nice but not that nice, he obviously likes you." Allison said. She glanced at Scott and was surprised that he was looking at her.

"Maybe he likes Kira now. She fed him with chopsticks and took him to his room- maybe he thought 'hey, that's hot. I like her' and boom, now he doesn't l-like me or whatever anymore." Rita argued.

"Then ask him. He's been listening the whole time. Come here, Scott." Allison said. Rita's eyes widened and turned to see Scott already next to them.

"I'll leave you two to talk." Allison said. Rita bit her lip, not knowing what to do.

"I don't think this is the most of your worries. Two of your friends are in the hospital. Don't worry about this, I'll survive." Rita said.

"No. I want to solve this now. This is something I can control- hell, the only thing I can control right now so I want to fix this." Scott said, taking her hand.

"Okay." She whispered, leaning on her locker. Scott took a step closer and brushed some of her hair out of her face.

"I like you a lot, Rita. You're the only girl I like." Scott said. She was about to say it back but remembered he already heard her say it.

"What about Kira?" Rita asked, fiddling with his hand.

"I want to help her figure out what she is. Her feeding me with chopsticks didn't make me forget about how much I like you." Scott smiled. Rita looked up at him trying to fight a smile but gave up and smiled while looking away.

"Why'd you cancel on me for the dance? Why won't you come to my room anymore?" Rita asked, getting it off her chest.

"After dark, there are demonic ninjas that could attack me. I don't want you to be in danger because of me." Scott said.

"Demonic ninjas? Do they wear masks?" Rita asked, opening her locker. Scott nodded and watched her pull out a notebook. She opened it and showed him a picture of an oni.

"That's it. How do you know about it?" Scott said, taking the notebook from her.

"Michelle's mom taught me about some of the Japanese supernatural stuff when I stayed at their house for Christmas break a couple years back." Rita said. She watched him read about the onis and what they were.

"Maybe it could help you figure out what Kira is. Keep it." Rita said. Scott smiled at her and put the notebook in his bag.

"We got sidetracked. Back to us." Scott said.

"Do you want to go on a kind of date before going to visit Isaac? We could just go out to eat if you want." Rita asked. Scott smiled brightly and nodded.

"Yeah. I'd like that." Scott said. The bell rang after what felt forever and the two looked each other.

"I'll see you later." Rita smiled, tippy toeing to kiss his cheek before jogging to her class.