Tricks & Flips

Last Time on Tails and Ears

"Rules are simple— just get these two bells from me" He continued nonchalantly.

"But there are only two bells... and three of us" Naruto mumbled

"Exactly, only two of you will pass this test"

Present

*

Naruto

I stared at the silver-haired man as if he was insane. I glanced over at the two humans besides me— wondering if they understood what the older nin was trying to do. He was trying to get everyone against each other.

It was obvious to me the other two would work together leaving me—to fail. Even if I do lose this test, I don't lose anything but who wants to lose? I smirked at the thought of this challenge, I wasn't about to be defeated to a couple of human children.

As I was grinning, I was abruptly hit by a surge of exhaustion, the genjutsu was putting a toll on my body. It was tiring—it has been three hours; my limit was 2 hours ago. I just kept it up for my safety, Shina had told me... stories about what humans do to people like me.

As another wave crashed, I moaned in discomfort. The ninjas all turned to me.

"Can I go to my normal form then?" I asked, nervously scratching the back of my head.

The man looked at me, then gazed behind me, towards the other genins. Noticing what he was worried about, I spoke up.

"I won't let them know, I'll be really careful — I'll place the genjutsu back if I hear someone else come over here" I talked, my eyes were pleading at him. He stayed quiet but finally sighed— giving me a simple nod.

I beamed and closed my eyes, making my chakra flow around me. Several seconds later, my ears and tails were visible once again— swaying around gently. I could feel them staring but I couldn't care any less.

"Alright," clasping my hands together.

"Let's do this"

*

My dark-yellow ears flickered from left to right, listening for possible approaching enemies. I had crouched down on a tree branch, my hand leaning on the tree bark to keep my balance.

Kakashi had sent us off not too long ago. The goal was simple, just snatch a bell from him before sunset. Easy right?

There were only a few rules, you can only have one bell and you couldn't steal a bell from another opponent.

He had also handicapped himself for us as if I needed it anyway— he had said he would only use his right hand when defending himself. He's just making it harder for himself—oh well.

I watched from below as the dark-haired boy was hiding in a bush. He was watching Kakashi, reading a book.

I heard rustling to the west of me, hearing Sakura come, I climbed a little higher into the trees to hide—my tails now resting beside me on the branch.

Sasuke didn't seem fazed or didn't hear her coming and continued to watch the older man.

"EEEK! SA—"She screeched but her mouth was quickly covered by Sasuke's hand. I growled slightly at her scream, squeezing my eyes in pain, flattening my ears on my head —trying to block her retched screech out. If I was any closer to her, I think I would've died.