Chapter 4 - Rainy day

I woke up to the sound of rain pattering my window pane. I think that's my favourite way to wake up. It fills me with calm and peace.

But this morning the peaceful moment was disturbed by a vac using mother.

"Oh I'm sorry honey!" My mum said once she passed my bedroom. "I thought you were already in school!"

Then I gazed the clock and felt my body rise in a rush and put on which ever clothes was lying on the floor. I was supposed to be walking to school right now. I was never going to get there in time, that was a fact. I didn't have time to rage at my mother. Even though it wasn't her fault, it was I who forgot to switch batteries on my alarm clock. But in this stressful moment it felt good to blame it on anybody else than myself.

I entered the school building and walked down the corridor and opened the door to my class room. I was twenty minutes late and stumbled in to take the bench next to Layla.

First now I realised that I must have interrupted Mrs Collins when I entered the class room. She gave me a disliking look and continued to talk about the derivative of a graph in our book.

Layla leaned discreet over my bench with a questioning look on her face.

I rolled my eyes just not to clear for her to notice. "Broken alarm clock." I said quiet but sharply. I was not in mood for discussing, I mean I was asleep half an hour ago.

Layla leaned back annoyed over my sharp tone. But what can you expect after having a bad morning? The rest of the lesson we concentrated on what Mrs Collins said, without speaking to each other.

When I walked to my locker, I stopped when I passed Layla's.

"Hey, how are you?" I said while observing her long shiny pink finger nails which never seemed to be forgotten.

"Oh I'm great, I mean great to see you." She said like the tension between us during class never had existed. That's one of the great things about Layla. She's never resentful or grumpy.

"You want to hang out after school?" She asked while closing her lockers with a loud noise.

"Yeah, sure why? Any special things you want to do? "

"Well, just to be with you is my suggestion, and we can go out and have a drink, just you and me!" She said enthusiastically and we started to walk to the next lesson.