Chapter 19 - Awkward

My mum stood outside looking straight at us. She held one paper bag from the grocery store down the street, in each hand.

I'm such a blockhead... How could I've forgotten? I knew mum was home from work for today. Nothing seemed clear in my head currently. This was totally my fault, so I guess it was not more than right that I was the one who had to talk us out of this.

"Hi mum. Are those bags heavy?" Maybe not the most natural first line. The most natural would be to introduce Bryan, but my head was a little slower than that. Instead my mum was the one who acted normal in this situation. She ignored my awkward question, and introduced herself politely. She dropped down one of the paper bags on the floor to free her right hand.

"Hello, nice to meat you! I'm Iris, Aines mother."

Bryan gently shook her hand and made a similar introduction of himself.

"Bryan. Pleasure to meat you." He said and smiled.

"Are you about to leave?" My mum asked us while she passed the doorstep.

"Just me." Bryan responded politely.

"Oh, I'm glad I got to meat you Bryan."

"I can only say the same." He said before he turned his face to look at me.

"I'll see you soon." His face was resolute.

"Yeah, see you." I said and saw him walk out the door.

My mother just carried the food to the kitchen and began to cook dinner without a word. I went to my room, as quiet myself, with a feeling of a light chock mixed with embarrassment. I had never taken a boy home before. It was such a foreign situation to me, and my mother. Even if we did not discuss this right now, it does not mean it won't be brought up later on. That'll be interesting.

I locked my bedroom door and called Layla. I had to discuss this with someone, and she was the one. As always.

"Hello there, I was just about to call you. What's up?" She answered almost immediately.

"Well, my mum just met Bryan." I told her as I bounced down on my bed.

"She did? What happened? I mean was it okey or was your mum just awkward?" Layla said, clearly a little too curious for me to not notice.

"To be honest, I stood for the awkward part."

I heard a light laugh on the other side of the phone.

"Of course you did Aine, of course you did. Tell me more."

"The whole meeting was a bit... sudden and embarrassing."

"Why? "

"I said good bye at the door when he was going to leave, and of a sudden the door was opened and she was standing on the other side if the doorstep. I'm not sure if she saw us kiss, but she might."

"Oh...I feel you, hun. I can so relate. Like a year ago when I dated Mike, you know the dark guy..."

"Yeah, yeah I know...uh, the hockey guy?"

"Yeah, exactly.We were at his room and his little sister ran in... And guess who was top less....just a clue, it was not him, or his sister. I'm just surprised I'm still alive. Most people would've died in my situation. I'm stronger than many would guess."

I laughted at her story. I'm glad we had kept our clothes on. I'm not sure if I would have survived in Laylas situation.

"Your story might be a liiiitle more extreme, though. But thanks for sharing it."

"You're welcome. Only the best stories I save for you."

A short moment of silence was on the phone line until my mind caught a thought.

"When is the concert by the way? And where, not sure if you've mentioned that?''

"Oh, that's why I wanted to call you. It's in Dublin. Next Saturday. So we get on the bus after school on Friday, I've booked a hotel room for two nights."

"Wow, you've really planned everything! Thanks Layla."

"Oh, no problem at all, I'm so looking forward to this!! Can you imagine what we're doing? We'll see Westlife live! And you finally get a chance to get to like them! Hope they're as cute in reality."

"I'm exited too, haven't been at too many concerts. Hope this'll be something special!"

I did look forward to it, to hear new music. No high expectations on the members in particular though, even though Layla seemed to have a crush on every each of them. I believed they were just as all the other boy band members, boys liked because of their looks and voices. Not sure if they had anything more than that.

AN: Hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you did, leave a star! THANK YOU!

Image source: Flickr.com