thirty-one

lewis 

Poppy had avoided school for three days. After Tuesday came to an end and she still hadn't made an appearance, I figured she was ill. Judging what she had told me about her parents, there was no way that they would cover for her if she was faking it. And Faye had agreed with me. But then there was the radio silence. Poppy hadn't messaged either of us. Me, I could understand, but Faye was frazzled. They had never gone this long without talking before. 

My new phone was arriving at the weekend. My parents had called the insurance company and there was a delay with that version of the iPhone. At first I had freaked. I couldn't live without a phone for three more days but being off the grid had been rejuvenating. 

Paul and I said everything we needed to say when we saw each other at school, and after school we played football, or I ran laps around the block until I couldn't run anymore. 

Without my headphones drowning out my thoughts, it had given me a lot of space to reconsider my actions, my words. 

I ran past Poppy's house a few times, catching the light in her bedroom on the top floor shining through the gap in her curtains. I had considered stopping and knocking on the door until someone answered, but had decided against it. If space and time was what she needed, she would get them both. It didn't matter how much not talking to her was killing me. 

I got up early before school and ran one lap of the block before showering and forcing myself to get dressed. 

Paul and Faye were waiting for me at the school gate, as they had done for the last three mornings. They had grown unusually close since the Winter Formal on Friday, whispering in each other's ears and sharing jokes I didn't understand. 

"Poppy's alive!" Faye announced as I became in earshot. A couple of year sevens flinched as they were walking by. "Did she text you?" 

I shook my head. "No phone." 

"Well check your Facebook, dammit. The girl is alive and well, and more importantly she has turned her phone back on."

"Is she coming in today?" I asked, hopeful. 

Faye shrugged. The giant coat she was wearing to keep out the cold moved with her shoulders. "I have no idea. She didn't say. Sorry," she added, seeing the light fade from my face.

The three of us walked towards the Sixth Form common room, eager to get inside where the radiators would be cranked up to full. 

Paul held the door open for us and followed us through the to common room. Fairylights and tinsel had been taped to window frames and the walls in the name of Christmas spirit. There was even a lopsided tree in the corner with old baubles scattered over the fake branches. 

Paul and I fell into one of the sofas as Faye disappeared to get a coffee from the machine upstairs. 

"You two are getting pretty close, hey?" I asked, nudging Paul suggestively. 

"She's great. I feel like I've known her forever." 

"I'm really happy for you, man," I told him, honestly. And I really was. It made sense for Paul to be in a state of euphoria, high on life, while mine was in a state of decline. 

"I'm sorry things are crappy right now," he said. 

I felt his gaze on me as my eyes drifted out through the common room windows. Winter had well and truly rolled in overnight. Though there wasn't any snow on the ground yet, the air was biting cold. Students were rushing inside, hidden beneath thick winter coats.