twenty-eight

poppy 

"Can you believe him?" I asked. 

I had stormed outside into the smoking area. I would have gone out onto the main street but this door had been closer and I needed to calm down. 

He was unbelievable. What had gotten into him? How could he be fine one minute and then the next be accusing me of cheating on him? Was that even what he was doing? He had seen Oliver and I having a close-knit conversation and jumped to conclusions? 

Was he even accusing me of cheating? The last five minutes had suddenly become clouded in my mind. I had walked away before he had even had a chance to explain himself. 

Faye had jumped onto a wall, despite the expensive dress she was wearing, and was lighting a cigarette. It seemed she had stocked up on her own after smoking Rob's pack. She handed me it and lit her own. 

"Wait, what just happened?" she asked, blowing a stream of smoke to her left, oblivious to the girl sat beside her. She shook her hand through the air, apologising. The girl shrugged. She was too busy smoking her own cigarette to notice the difference. 

I told her about Lewis sneaking up behind me while I was talking to Oliver. 

"Girl what is happening there?" 

"Nothing!" I told her. "Absolutely nothing. It was just a few texts." 

"And does Oliver know that it's nothing? Or does he think these are gateway texts?" 

"He knows I'm with Lewis. At least, he does now." 

Her eyes widened and she shook her head, judging me. "Girl." 

"It's not like I've slept with him or anything. Hell, we haven't even kissed." 

"Well go tell him that. While you're out here being all dramatic, he's in there with Oliver across the room, thinking the absolute worst!" 

She was right. I inhaled a lungful of smoke and made a deal with myself. After this, I would go back inside and make things right. 

I just needed to go inside and tell Lewis that Oliver had sent me a few texts, and I had been stupid enough to reply. That was as far as we had ever gone. He didn't mean anything to me. My insecurities had just taken over for those brief moments. That was it. 

"You and I both know that that boy is the best damn thing that has happened to you in a long time." 

I looked away. He was. Not that I had even properly admitted that to myself yet. I was far too stubborn to admit that another human could possibly make me feel this happy. This good about myself. But somehow he had managed to accomplish the impossible in a few short months. 

What had started off as school-forced tutoring sessions had turned into the best case scenario. I had slowly been giving myself to this person. But I had failed to realise how fragile this entire situation had been. Relationships are the worst. But they're also the best. 

I finished my drink and tossed the burned out butt onto the floor, crushing it beneath the tip of the hideously girly shoes I had forgotten I was wearing. This night had seemed to go on forever, I could barely remember getting dressed that afternoon. 

I started towards the steps that would take me back inside, but my path was blocked by a familiar face. Blonde hair. Beautiful face. Stupid smirk. 

"Trouble in paradise?" 

Faye hopped off the wall and stood beside me. I was thankful for the extra muscle by my side. My boney arms wouldn't be able to take her by themselves.