nine

lewis

lewis

When I got back from the coffee shop, I had a message from Rebecca. It didn't surprise me, she had a reputation of being a go-getter. If she wanted something, she wasn't just one to sit around and hope for the best. She went and got it. And that was exactly what the message said. Well, not literally. But it was implied.

I'm having a few people round this Friday, and you're invited x

I didn't reply straight away. In fact, I closed my phone and completely forgot about the message until I bumped into her on Friday. She must have seen me first, and had practically shoved smaller students out of the way while she fought her way to me.

"Lewis!"

Paul, who had been in the middle of a joke he had seen on Facebook, shoved me jovially in the chest as she stopped in front of us.

"Lewis, hey. You never replied to my message." She popped out her hip and placed her perfectly manicured hand on it.

I could sense Paul glaring at me, wondering why the hell I hadn't told him about Rebecca's message. And I knew that the second she walked away I was going to be bombarded with questions.

"Oh yeah. It completely slipped my mind," I admitted.

"Do you wanna come?" she asked, shrugging as though it was no big deal. She could sense Paul's burning gaze and turned to him. "You can come, too, I guess."

"Yeah," I told her. "Sure. We'll be there."

She instantly perked up, straightening her back and smiling.

"Great," she said, smacking her plump glossed lips together. "See you tonight."

We both watched her walk away, fighting through the crowd of students waiting outside classrooms for the teacher's to come and let them in.

Paul, almost on cue, turned to me. His gaping mouth and wide eyes needed an explanation.

"What the hell?" he gasped. "And wait, where are we going tonight?"

"She's having some people round."

"Wait, let me get this straight. We're invited to a Rebecca Andrews party?"

I shrugged. "I guess so."

"Shit. Okay." He took a deep breath and composed himself.

The bell rang throughout the corridor and we set off in the direction of our Chemistry classroom.

"Shit. What are you going to wear?" he asked, turning to me, his eyebrows furrowed deep into his eyes. He was deadly serious. Paul only ever wore sweatpants and shorts. Of course he owned a couple of pairs of jeans that his parents mostly made him wear if they were going out for dinner, or what have you, but he always made it an ordeal.