sixteen

poppy 

Oliver had somehow acquired my phone number. I couldn't remember who had given who what number. All I knew was he had text me, and was still texting me. And I was replying. 

It was just stupid stuff about television programmes, or lame jokes. And I had to tell myself to keep it that way. We were one winky face from climbing up a ladder we couldn't get down. 

I hadn't told Faye about Oliver. She had been too wrapped up in Rob that night to even realise I had spent most of my night at the bar talking to the hot bartender. Telling her would lead to one of two things. She would either scold me about the texting, or she would tell me to go for both guys at once. And I wasn't sure I wanted either pieces of advice. 

But she was still my best friend and I needed her help with at least one thing: the football team party.

Faye had helped me choose my outfit for the bonfire. I had asked if she wanted to come along, but she said, and I quote "I would rather have my toenails pulled off than spend a pep-filled night with the football team and their girlfriends."

It was encouraging words to send me off with, as if I wasn't nervous enough. I didn't hang out with these people. I didn't know how to act around these people. 

And, as it got closer and closer to the time Lewis said he would pick me up, I started to doubt the outfit choice we had deliberated over. 

Black skinny jeans that were mostly torn down the front, a black long sleeve t-shirt and my leather jacket. It was November, for godsake. I wasn't about to go skipping around in a skirt and a camisole. But it was the all-black I was rethinking. 

Or maybe it was that Faye and I had spontaneously dyed my hair the night before and rather than the long, bright blonde hair Lewis had last seen me with, my hair was now dark blue and cut haphazardly above my shoulders.

My mum had almost fainted when I had walked out of my bedroom looking like a smurf. It wasn't the colour that surprised her, I don't think, but the fact that I didn't tell her beforehand. I had had a rainbow in my hair before, and she had merely tutted at my spontaneity and carelessness. 

I straightened out my choker, and the silver necklaces that hung over the black shirt. The blue hair looked good, despite the uneven coverage. I was ruffling my roots, trying to make it work, when the doorbell rang. 

I ran down the two flights of stairs, a small bag over my shoulder. My parents weren't in, thank god. I didn't need them to see me heading out for a date with a boy.

I took a deep breath before opening the door, bracing myself for his reaction. 

"Wow," he said, startled by the extreme change in my appearance. "I love it!" 

I relaxed immediately. "Really?" 

He reached out for a short lock of hair, and twirled it. "Hell yeah. It looks so cool." 

"Thanks." 

"So, are you all ready?" He was peering over my shoulder, into the house. I knew he couldn't see it, but I became very aware of the photographs on the staircase. 

"Yup." I patted my bag and grabbed my keys from the side table. "Let's go." 

We headed down the main road that led to the school. The field was a ten minute walk from school, and Lewis had suggested we get an Uber but it was a mild, clear night so we decided to walk. 

Faye had given me her hip flask topped off with Jack Daniels. It was tucked into my jeans pocket in case I needed some dutch courage. But as Lewis slipped his hand into mine, I didn't think I'd need it.