Chapter 12

Camila's POV

It felt like a year had passed until lunch finally came. I met Dinah at my locker and we walked down to the cafeteria. On our way there, we spotted Lauren at the vending machine.

"Aye Lauren!" Dinah yelled causing everyone on line to turn around.

Lauren waved in response and ran over to where we had been standing. We leaned against a blue wall with our schools mascot, a tiger, painted on it.  Lauren wore a ripped  rolling stones t-shirt and black jeans. I waited for her to approach us, but could not wait to ask her to hangout tonight.

"Hey guys! What's up?" Lauren asked.

"Nothing. We were wondering if you wanted to hangout tonight and watch 13 Going on 30? You don't have to.." I tried to explain.

"Aw thanks guys. I would love to come and watch a chick flick with my new favorite people," Lauren answered.

"Alright ya'll. Let's go before someone sees me and notices I'm supposed to be in lab," Dinah signaled towards the door outside.

Since Miami always had nice weather, we were able to eat outside on the picnic tables or the steps leading up to the school. Some people went out there to smoke and others just enjoyed their food.

"I seriously cant wait for tonight. It's been so long since I had friends that didn't sniff each others armpits or fight over takeout," Lauren laughed.

"Excuse me but who told you I don't sniff Dinah's armpit?" I joked.

"I would definitely fight Camila off for takeout," Dinah responded.

"Well in that class, I'll be used to it! Seriously..thank's for inviting me tonight."

"No problem. I think we all  need a break from school in general," I added.

The rest of the day I thought of how the night would go and how much fun we would have. I could feel a turning point in my life approaching. I was happy and excited even though I missed my hometown and friends. I had made a few friends to have small talk with in each of my classes. However, Dinah and Lauren were my only friends outside of school. 

I want to make sure tonight was fun because I am the host. Lauren will meet my family and see my house for the first time.

 Knowing I would miss it if I waited for Dinah, I walked to the bus at the end of the day. I took a seat near the front so I could easily get out when my stop came. Dinah still had not come on the bus when it filled up and Trudy shut the doors. 

I saw Dinah sprinting in the distance while waving her hands in the air in order to get Trudy's attention.

"Damnit. That girl is going to drive me insane. Everytime she says it's the last time she will be late, she's late again. I need some sunglasses so I can pretend I don't see it her next time," Trudy mumbled out loud.

"Excuse me Trudy. Will you please wait for her?" I asked as sweetly as possible.

"Only for you Camila. If you didn't say anything I probably would have drove off."

"Thank you."

I had bought Trudy a gift the first day I took the bus as a thank you for driving up this lousy street before she reached my cul de sac. They were chocolates and a giftcard to T.G.I Friday's. She was really appreciative and sometimes when Dinah was not on the bus, I would talk to her. 

Trudy Millas is probably in her early forties. Her hair is brown and frizzy which is why you will almost never see her with her hair not in a ponytail. She is a bit overweight and is always drinking Coke for some reason. Her husband left her and she has to support her 9 year old daughter on her own. Sometimes I complain to her about missing home and she 's a good listener. 

Dinah approached the bus out of breath and banged on the door before Trudy was able to open it. When Trudy opened the doors without further arguing, Dinah was shocked.

"Thanks Trudy," Dinah said as she caught her breath.

"Unless Camila is here to save your ass next time, I'm driving off. This is the last time Hansen," Trudy mentioned Dinah's last name.

"Ight Millas," Dinah laughed as she sat down.

The whole ride home we talked about what we needed for tonight and if we needed to get anything else. Once I got off the bus, I ran up my driveway as quickly as possible and opened the door. I wanted to set up even though I had another 5 hours until they would arrive.