Chapter 3

Camila's POV

I burst though the door of my wood shop class to find every single table seated with only guys. I didn't mind, don't get me wrong. Having all boys in your class is not always a bad thing depending on who they are and who you are.

However, by the way that they looked at me I could tell they we're not interested. Who would I talk to? I took a seat in a chair settled by a vacant table.

I was hoping for someone nice to walk in and ask me what my name was. Who was I kidding? This wasn't a movie, right?

My long brown wavy hair flowed past my shoulders. I wore my favorite floral printed tee and light wash skinny jeans.

Life in Miami was a lot different in so many ways and I had only been there for a few days. I could basically walk to the beach after school and ditch doing my homework to tan. The weather was a lot nicer than it was in Pennsylvania which I appreciated. I guess no one could really understand the meaning of sweater weather around here.

I heard a creak as the door almost silently opened. A tiny space in the door was now taken up by another student. The bell had just rang meaning the girl was barely, but still, late.

She is a lot taller than an average girl in North Wells High School. She has brown ombré wavy hair, but it isn't as long as mine. Her style seems trendy by the looks of her cheetah print crop top and black leggings.

She was late and she did not look worried at all. I now have a feeling the teacher is not to big on rules.

Luckily for her, Mr. Drew is closer to retirement age and didn't even notice her sneak in. He also didn't notice he had a new student, which was me. He cannot work a computer, nevermind a cell phone and I am not convinced he can read what the clock says either. 

She quickly rushed past the boys who were whispering something I assume is probably inappropriate.

She threw her stuff down on the table where I was sitting alone. I can see the anger in her face. I'm guessing she's annoyed about the boys and what they had been previously talking about.

"Boys! Ugh! Am I right girl?" she slightly chuckled as she took the seat next to me.

I turned around to check if she was talking to someone behind me out of pure extinct.

When I saw no one was there, I assumed she was talking to me.

"Yeah," I answered shyly.

"Are you new? I'm usually the only girl stuck with these little perverts," the taller girl spoke quietly.

"Um..yeah. Just moved here. It's actually my first day," I responded.

"Yes! A new girl at school! I don't have many friends. Well, actually I have none. I would rather not talk about that. Anyway, nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too," I smiled.

"Oh damn. I forgot my name. I'm Dinah Jane. Dinah Jane Hansen. You can call me DJ for short if you want," Dinah stated.

"Ok, Dinah Jane. I'm Camila Cabello," I added.

"I love your name. It's like I can see it in lights or something. It's got a nice ring to it. Camila Cabello. Where are you from?"

"I'm actually from Cuba, but my parents moved to Pennsylvania when I was three. Now I moved here to Miami," I tried to sound as interesting as possible.

"Nice. I live in a house with around twenty other people. It's like a fun fact about me. You will soon learn to know that I love my family more than anything else in this world," Dinah responded.

"That is really sweet. I like music and playing the guitar. My little sister Sofi is also really important to me as well as my parents. She reminds me of myself when I was little; I really miss those days."

"Me too girl. My little siblings remind me of those times too. I have a feeling we are going to be good friends Camila," Dinah smiled lightly.

"I really hope so. I mean if we have to suffer in this class we might as well suffer together, right?" I tried to add humorously. 

"Do you have a nickname? I like calling people these short names instead of their original ones. It's kind of a habit."

"Not really. Do you have any in mind?" I questioned curiously.

"How about Mila? I like it. It sounds cute."

"If you like it, then Mila it is," I chuckled to myself.

"Alright Mila. Well it looks like this flop of a class is over, so I'll see you around," Dinah spoke as she picked up her things.

I checked the clock as Dinah left the room. Class didn't technically end for another five minutes. She seemed really sweet and I was happy to say I might have made a new friend.

The bell rang as I grabbed my backpack and checked my schedule for my next class. It was History in room 452. I stepped out of the room confused as to where to go and finally asked a teacher nearby for directions. 

As I approached the door, I thought about my conversation with Dinah quickly before I stepped inside.