Chapter 45

Christopher's POV:

          I sat waiting; waiting for the final moment; waiting to make a decision which can change the fate of my kingdom. I saw a shadow merge into mine and looked up to see a face which held a crooked scar on the right. He looked down upon me as if he was superior with a smug look on his face. Behind him stood one of his men who held a rope which was tied around another man.

          “I trust you have come to a decision then.” He stated.

          “In exchange for my assistance you must leave my people alone.”

          “You have my word.”

He took the sword which rested at my side and then, we were off. I led them past the trees, the stream, until we reached a familiar sight of a waterfall. Upon arriving, Garrett’s face had lit up.

          “Do you really believe the story of the fire ruby?”

He ignored my question and so we pushed ahead and entered the cave behind the watery cover. Everything looked as I remembered it. Before I could admire anymore of the sight, I saw the sight of a blade, my blade, slicing through the plants to reveal a hidden passageway. Garrett entered first with me following after a kick from his henchman.

          When I entered that small secluded cave, I realized how wrong I was for lying in front of me was the fire ruby.

          “A giant ruby as red as fire…” Garrett whispered as he pulled out a small dagger from his pocket.

I watched as the dagger’s blade hovered on top of his palm, hesitantly dropping gradually until the blade met with the skin. Red beads flowed out and Garrett slowly let them fall onto the gem. The gem began to glow but before the glow could brighten any longer, it faded away and the gem returned back to its original shade.

          At this reaction, Garrett’s brows furrowed and anyone can clearly see the anger in his eyes. He stomped forward to the prisoner and grabbed him by the collar.

          “Why did it not work?” he demanded.

          “I…I am certain that King Gareth was the heir to King Leonard. Perhaps you are not Gareth’s son…” the man stuttered.

Gareth showed his blood wound to the man with a crazed expression.

          “Are you possibly suggesting that I am wrong and that this blood is not Gareth’s?” He yelled.

          “No, of course not! I…I just do not understand…I am certain Gareth is the most direct heir to high King Leonard. Please…please understand….”

Gareth placed his hand gingerly on the man’s shoulder and smiled slyly at him.

          “Oh no worries, I do understand.”

I watched in horror as Garrett quickly stabbed the man with his free hand. The man fell breathless with his blood staining his clothes. Garrett stood up with no remorse and turned to his henchman.

          “Find me a historian who will not fail me and… tell Horace to launch the attack on Cardinia.”

I grew furious and instinctively ran to attack Garrett only to be punched in the gut by him. I found myself staring at the tip of my own blade as Garrett once again looked down on me.

          “We had a deal Garrett!”

          “You have not assisted me nearly enough.”

          “I led you here!”

          “And you performed marvelously little brother, but unfortunately for you, I did achieve what I wished…”

          “You gave your word.” I enunciated.

Garrett crouched in front of me, holding the sword to my neck.

          “Christopher, I raised an army from pirates, thieves, and other lower class members; did you really believe I would keep my promise?”

          “You bastard.” I gritted.

          “And proud of it.” He sneered.

Garrett turned to his henchman who still stood awaiting his order.

          “Change of plans Victor, we’re not attacking Cardinia anymore…we’re going to burn it to the ground.” 

*****

Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Were you expecting this? Please let me know what you think! Thank you for the support as always!!!!! ^_^