Chapter 38

Azalea's POV:

                   “Any good news?"

            The soldiers shook their heads as Christopher’s eyes turned disappointed once again.

            “Leave me."

The two men saluted before taking their departure. I tried comforting Christopher as I placed my hand gently on his shoulder.

            “It has only been two days. There is still hope."

            “My mother has been trapped in the clutches of that damned M for two days and you still believe her to be alright?"

I could not answer that question, for I knew the truth might be too much.

            “It is suspicious is it not?"

Christopher and I turned our direction to Nathaniel who sat at a chair with a book in his hand. Ever since the incident, he had been with us every moment possible.

            “Is it not clear that the fact M captured our mother is suspicious?" Christopher asked as if it were a joke.

            “No, not that." The prince stood up to face his older brother. At that moment, he did not seem so young and weak. He seemed to be the one in control, the one with a solid head on his shoulders and it impressed me.

            “It is suspicious that mother is involved with M. Think about it, do you know anything about mother’s past?"

Christopher’s expression was answer enough for Nathaniel.

            “Do you mean you do not know either?" I asked him.

            “You are her favorite, surely she told you something?" Christopher asked with hope.

            “Nothing, she told me nothing. Do you see? No one knows about her past."

            “Is there any who might?" I asked.

            “Father." Christopher spoke without hesitation. Memories seemed to be flooding back into his mind as he held a saddened stare. “But he’s gone."

            “Is there anyone else?" I hesitantly asked.

            “Not that I can think of. The woman was very secretive even to her own children."

We all gave up for the evening. Nathaniel was sent back to his room to rest, Christopher left to a meeting and I left to my suite and changed into my night gown. As I was searching for my hairbrush in my drawer, I came across the letters I stashed weeks ago. I opened them and read each one carefully before being startled.

            “What is that your majesty?"

I turned around to face the nursemaid: Beth.

            “A few letters I found hidden in the library."

She snatched the letters from my hands and read them quickly.

            “Do you know something about them Beth?"

The look she gave me said it all.

            “Whose letters are these?"

            “I shouldn’t say."

            “Are these letters not important?"

The old lady shook her head. I gave a small smirk as I stole the letters out of her hands as she did to me. I paced myself over to the fireplace as she watched in horror as I dangled the papers on top of the hungry fire.