9 Months Later- 22

Start from the beginning

“Yes, I hungry.” Lena responded. We walked to the kitchen and both Damon and Dante were already at the table.

“I thought you’d have been down here already.” Damon said as he set the coffee cup down and stood up from the table.

“Lena didn’t want to get dressed.” I said nonchalantly and shrugged my shoulders.

“I see who won that fight.” Dante said as he held up his hand. “High-five Lena.” He said.

Lena ran over to him and enthusiastically slapped her hand against his. She loved high-fives.

“Eggs mommy?” Lena questioned as she looked at me.

“Actually Lena we’re having pancakes.” Dante said scooping her up onto his hip.

“Lena you get to hang out with Uncle Dante today, isn’t that so much fun?” I asked in an excited voice.

“Yes, fun.” She said clapping her hands.

“Mommy will be back soon baby, okay.”

“Mommy daddy goes bye byes.” She said sadly looking from Damon to me and back, her lip started to quiver.

My jaw dropped and my eyes were the size of golf balls. I looked to Damon not knowing what to say. He shrugged his shoulders and looked at Lena.

“Lena Mommy has a surprise for you. If you go bye byes with us it won’t be a surprise anymore.”

“Prize?” Lena asked the tears in her eyes going away. “Prize now?” She asked.

“Lena we have to go to the store to your surprise.”

“Mommy daddy come back soon?” She questioned.

“Yes Lena, we will be back soon.” Damon said.

Shortly after the breakfast incident Damon and I were on our way to the stores.

“I’m so sorry.” I said about twenty minutes into our drive.

“For what?” Damon asked lowering the volume of the radio.

“Lena just doesn’t understand yet that you’re not her father. I’ve never been too good at explaining to her about her father.” I said apologetically.

“It’s fine.” Damon said in a casual tone.

“No it’s not I promise I’ll figure out a way to explain to her you are not her father, I’ll talk-” Damon cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

“Collette, it means the world to me that you’ve accepted my lifestyle and that you feel safe enough to allow your daughter to be cared for by my family. I don’t mind that Lena called my daddy, as long as it’s alright with you, she can keep calling me that. To be honest, it melted my heart this morning seeing how upset she got that “mommy and daddy” were leaving. I love her as much as I love you.”

“You love me?” I asked with a knowing smile.

“If it’s not obvious by now then I don’t know what else to do.” Damon said not fully answering my question.

“It’s not.” I said. “You’ve never actually said that you do, so it’s not obvious.” I said.

“Collette I love you more than life itself. I would do anything for you and for Lena.”

“I love you too.” I said reaching over to hold his hand.

Damon and I spent the day going store to store to find everything we would need like groceries and clothes for both Lena and I. One of the last store’s we stopped at was a children’s store. Inside the store all kinds of toys and games were everywhere on display.

“We did say she would get a surprise.” Damon said as he led me through the entire store. He led me to the isle with baby dolls and baby doll accessories. We picked out a baby doll, a few clothes, and a mini crib.

“Lena’s going to love this. She’s been asking for a baby for forever.” I said as we were checking out.

“She’s never had a baby doll?” Damon questioned as we headed for the door.

“No she’s had baby dolls, they just weren’t the kind of baby she wanted.” I said laughing.

Damon looked confused at first, but he quickly figured out what I meant and laughed a little himself.

Just as we were about to reach the car Damon’s phone rang. He quickly pulled the cell from his back pocket and answered it.

“Hello? No that’s impossible.” He said, his tone changing from relaxed to outraged in the blink of an eye. I couldn’t hear who was on the other end of the phone or what they were saying.

“HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN?” He shouted into the phone. I heard more muffled words and then Damon hung the phone up.

“Let’s go.” He said ushering me to the car. I was scared I didn’t know what was going on or what had happened.

“Is everything okay?” I asked as panic began to set in. I had so many horrid thoughts running through my head. I just hoped that Lena and Dante were okay.

“No.” He said tensely as he sped down the road back the way we had come.