Chapter 36

I took off in a run after Mark yet again, weaving through the crowd of fans, snowboarders and reporters. I recognized his jacket at the front of the pack, and I started yelling to get his attention. It took 3 or 4 calls before he finally paused and turned around. When he saw my face, he tried ignoring me, but I had already caught up. I grabbed his arm. He shook me off and continued walking.

"Mark." I pleaded desperately. I wanted so badly just to talk to him and have him listen. When he stepped ahead forcefully, I became more aggressive.

"Mark, come on." I scolded in my most serious, scary voice. Thankfully, he stopped and looked at me. I winced at the pained look in his eyes.

"What do you want Liz? What could I possibly do for you?" The hurt in his voice shattered me. I knew I had to make things right.

Before I could answer him, an announcement came over the loudspeaker. "ATTENTION EVERYONE, ATTENTION, THE FINALS WILL BE TAKING PLACE IN 8 MINUTES. THAT IS 8 MINUTES UNTIL THE FINALS. THANK YOU."

I only had 8 minutes to get everything off of my chest. I had to find a way to get through to Mark without him icing me out.

As nicely as I could, I asked "Can we sit down somewhere? Please?" He pondered for a moment, and then silently wandered over to a nearby bench and took a seat. I took a deep breath before sitting down next to him, trying to calm myself down a bit.

There was an awkward quietness between us until I finally mustered up the courage to start talking.

"I know I don't deserve it, but all I'm asking is for you to just listen to me, and hear me out." I paused, waiting for his reaction. He didn't storm off angrily, so I took it as a gesture to continue.

"Mark. I am an idiot. The way I left you in December was...horrible. It was a serious dick move." At my last line, I could see him holding back a smirk. Even catching just a fragment of his true personality was better than nothing at all, and it gave me the strength to keep rambling.

"You didn't deserve any of that, and I am a crappy person for acting that way. When I was with you...everything was different. I've never been able to actually let loose and open up around other people, but you changed that. You brought out the best in me, and you were-are- one of the greatest people I know. These past few weeks have been absolute Hell for me, and I can't imagine what they were like for you. So, when Coco and Craig both showed up trying to convince me to come back to you, I couldn't stay away any longer. I had to see you again, I was going crazy." I took a quick break to breathe.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is...I love you Mark. I loved you in December and I love you now. And I know that you hate me, and this is what I know I deserve. I just wanted to come back and...explain. Apologize. I don't know. I think mostly I just wanted to be with you one last time. So...thanks Mark. I hope you win, and I hope you find somebody who's actually worth your time, not a disappointment like me."

I kissed him on the cheek emotionlessly, and then stood up. I turned my back towards the love of my life for the final time, and I didn't even try to stop the steady stream of tears flowing down my face.