Chapter 26

Trying to hide my discomfort, I removed my skates and took a seat next to Craig, trying to look breezy and upbeat. Craig however, wanted to get right down to business.

"Liz, you can't blame yourself for being pissed at my brother. He was a complete jerk to you at the party, and he deserves to get the cold shoulder, you know?" He looked at me, as if hoping I would agree. All I could do was sigh,

"Liz, listen to me." He placed a hand on my shoulder. "You're a great girl. You're everything that a guy could possibly want. But you doubt yourself. You have to get out there and...I don't know, grow some balls or something! Go up to him and slap him across the face or whatever you girls do!"

I couldn't help but giggle at Craig's dramatics. I was about to respond, but all of a sudden, Craig did something that took all of my words out of my mouth. Before I knew what was happening, Craig had pulled me in close and was kissing my hard right on the lips. When he pulled away, I was speechless. I could feel  heat rising up my neck and into my cheeks, flooding them with a crimson stain. "Craig.." I stammered, unsure of what to say.

He cut me off. "Liz, like I said, you're amazing. But I know for a fact that Mark goddamn loves you, and I can tell you like him too. So I'm asking you to please forget about all of this and go fix things with him. Please."

At this point, I was so confused. "But Craig...what was that even for?"

It was his turn to go red. There was an awkward pause before he explained himself.  "I like you Liz,I like you a lot actually. But, I know where your heart is and I just wanted to... do something before you and my brother take off together and I miss my only oppertunity."

I was stunned. That was the most genuine, serious thing that I had ever heard come out of Craig McMorris's mouth. I wanted to respond, or express my feelings, but I couldn't. Not because I didn't care for Craig, but because I still had no idea what I was feeling myself! However, Craig didn't give me a chance. Quietly he stood up, picked up his bag with his skates, and walked off to the parking lot, alone.

So I sat on the bench by myself, consumed in thought. At first, I just sat in a shocked silence. And then I broke down. I cried for my non-existant basketball team. I cried for the kindness Mark had shown me. I cried for my broken heart. I cried for not noticing Craig's affection sooner. I cried for not being able to return his feelings. I cried until my throat turned raw and I ran out of tears.

Thankfully, the bench was far enough away from the pond that nobody was able to see me bawling my eyes out. After a good hour of weeping, I finally sniffed my nose, and used my jacket sleeve to wipe my tears. For the first time in what felt like forever (not a Frozen reference), I knew exactly what I needed to do.