Chapter 26

The backstage area is flooded with constant motion that presses me further and further into the folds of the thin curtain that separates us from the stage. The black material drapes around me, fulfilling my inner desire to hide from the rest of the world. A few paces away from me, Hoseok smiles brightly, conversing cheerfully with Eun Jung as she dabs a sponge on his face. Even though he must be terribly nervous about performing live in front of the world, he disguises it adeptly with his natural radiance of enthusiasm. Our eyes lock as he notices my gaze on him, although before he can approach me, Jimin suddenly steps in front of me, rupturing our eye contact.

"Are you all right? You look like you want to disappear." His eyes are swimming with concern, his head tilted slightly as he tries to read the shift in my expression.

"I might." I sigh and peek over his shoulder, allowing my gaze to return to Hoseok. "This is the first time Hoseok will be on national television since our relationship became publicized, and I can't help but have a terrible feeling something will go wrong."

Jimin pauses, the concern in his eyes disappearing. "I mean, I have only seen good opinions. Our fanbase completely approves."

"We can't please everyone." I recognize the statement with a heavy heart, and my worried eyes draw back to Jimin.

He moves closer to me – closer than is acceptable – but I think nothing of it, recognizing that he is my best friend. His arms encircle me, shielding me from our surroundings with a haven of comfort, and I reciprocate, resting my head on his shoulder and allowing him to sway slightly. His voice transforms into a low whisper that tickles my ear as he speaks. "Do you remember what I said to you about worrying?"

"Yes, but do you remember what I told you in return?"

He smiles, his thumb rubbing lightly against my arm. "Everything will be okay, Cherisse. There is no need to worry about Hoseok-hyung."

"I know," I mumble against the satiny material of his jacket. Before I can say anything further or thank him for his comfort, he is whisked away by the staff members tasked with ensuring everyone makes it onstage at the right time. Hoseok zips through the one-way stream, ignoring the beeps of the clock, warning BTS that they are performing in three minutes. His lips form the heart smile I have come to love so much before he kisses me. The kiss is brief but passionate, and my knees tremble, threatening to give out.

"Wish me luck," he remarks brightly, squeezing my hands.

"I would, but you don't need it." I grin shyly before recalling my fears from before. "Be careful, okay? We don't know for sure how the public will react to you performing live."

"Nothing will happen to me, sunshine. And if something did, Jungkook has a black belt in taekwondo." He mimics pieces of Jungkook's training with exaggerated motions that make me burst out laughing and fall into him, my worries dispelled. "You'll be watching me on the monitor, won't you?"

"Of course!"

He embraces me quickly before forming a heart with his fingers and jogging towards the entrance to the stage. I stand still for a moment, frozen in a romantic daze that Eun Jung breaks me out of with her high-pitched squeal.

"You two are adorable! I knew you were made for each other from the start. I just knew it." She fans her face with her hands, causing her dark hair to fly over her shoulders and her eyelashes to flutter.

I flush in the face and wave my hand in the air dismissively, walking swiftly towards the monitor. I trip on the rug, still lost in memories of Hoseok's kiss, and stumble forward, taking a few awkward steps to steady myself. I plop down on the sofa backstage beside Min Jee, who frowns at my labored breaths and delirious smile.