thirty-nine

Chapter 39:
Birthday Bash

Ophelia

"Can you help me?" I asked Cate as she slipped on her heels.

My best friend nodded, "You know you could have chosen a more extra dress. It is your birthday."

"Yes, but simplicity is the best way to go when the party is already extra." I joked.

I had chosen a baby blue satin off the shoulder dress. It honestly looked like I was going to senior prom. Which unfortunately I didn't attend, so in a way I guess this makes up for it. It was so long because it had a small train attached to it.

To me this was pretty extra but apparently to Cate this was average. Clearly our ideas are completely different.

    "Okay are you almost done? Cause we need to make a grand entrance in about twenty minutes." Cate asked as she walked towards my bed and grabbed her clutch.

    I put the last pin in my hair before nodding. I spent the last three hours getting ready. Well with the help of Cate and her wanting me to look perfect. Seeing how perfect she wanted things for me made me realize I was going to go above and beyond for her.

    "I am ready." I told her with a smile.

    The venue Cate picked was a ten minute drive from my house. And it was extremely beautiful and extravagant. It was like we were at some crazy fashion event all celebrities attend.

   "Cate, this place. It's beautiful, you out did yourself." I told my best friend in complete aw as we got out of the car.

    She met me on the sidewalk and linked her arm with mine. We started walking up the steps towards the venue doors.

    "This was nothing." She said as if it was the easiest thing she's ever done.

    Lights and music seeped out of the glass doors. The security opened the doors for us allowing the music to come blaring out. I took a deep breath as we walked into the building. If I thought the outside looked crazy, the inside was even more.

    Giant balloons, Crystal chandeliers, about a hundred tables filled with people. Each table held a crystal vase full of pink roses. I couldn't tell if the place was a quince or a wedding, maybe a mixture of both and I was just turning 22.

"Ladies and Gentlemen the guest of honor, birthday girl Ophelia Andréa Ramirez!" The dj announced through the speakers as a spotlight shined on Cate and I.

    A huge amount of cheers and applause erupted. I smiled wide and laughed as I waved at everyone. Honestly I wasn't the best with being the center of attention. I watched as my parents sat at this long table, which I assumed is where I would be sitting as well. I swear it's like this is a wedding.

    We walked further in and towards the dance floor. As we passed by many tables I said hi to as many people as I could. Majority of the people here were friends from college and workers. We walked towards the table where my parents sat.

    "mi hija mira que hermosa te ves." My mother said as she hugged me.

    "Me? Look at you!" I said as I pulled away and looked at the stunning gold and black dress she wore.