Chapter 36

It's tiiiiimmmmeeeee!!!!!!! :)

* * * *

(Josh’s POV)

The wait was worse than anything I’ve ever experienced in my life. Even more excruciating than when I got my first tattoo. Everyday, Claire would run to check the mail and come back with a long look on her face when she realized that it was just bills.

About a week after our trip to the DNA Diagnostics Center, I woke up with a strong feeling that today would be the day. I roll over in bed to see Claire’s smiling face staring back at me. “Hey you.” She whispers and gently strokes my cheek. “I have a good feeling.” I wrap my large arms around her. Feeling the warmth of her body against mine sent shivers up my spine. “Cross your fingers.” Or any other body part that could be crossed. Toes. Legs. Arms. You name it.

I let out a loud sigh and sat up, letting Claire go. “Are you going to take a shower?” She raises her eyebrows, seductively looking up at me. “Would you like to join me?” She nods eagerly and jumps out of bed. I chase her to the bathroom, eager to have my way with her. I have to admit that afterwards I was way more relaxed and calm about the results.

At the time the mail normally comes during the week, Claire jumps up off the couch. “I’ll go get it!” She exclaims and turns to head for the door. I grab her arm and spin her around, making her crash into my chest. “I love you. No matter what. You’re still the same Claire I fell in love with.” I tell her, my lips inches from her. “I love you too.” She leans into me, closing the space between us. Her lips burn against mine, a feeling I could experience for a lifetime.

When she pulls back, a smile creeps over her face. “Be fast.” I exclaim to her as she runs out the door, heading downstairs to retrieve the envelope that seals our fate.

I take a seat at the kitchen counter, taking deep breaths. My stomach swirled, the nerves taking over. I glance over at the digital clock on the mircrowave. The minutes seemed to be ticking by slower than molasses.

What if I turned out to be the father? Would me and Claire be prepared to be parents? She was still so young at nineteen years old. What if Niall turned out to be the father? Would all of our friendships take a toll due to the new addition to all of our lives.

As soon as I heard the turn of the doorknob, I was on my feet, anxiously waiting. Claire entered with a giant smile on her face as she held up the letter from the DNA Center, which was surprisingly the only mail that we got today.

“Let’s open it together.” Her voice trembles just a bit, catching my attention.

I slide a finger under the fold of the envelope on one side as she does the same on the other side. She pulls out the letter and unfolds it slowly before holding it out in front of us. My eyes quickly scan the page, going over the unimportant information.

Then my gaze falls on what really matters. I swallow as I read the name written on the paper.

“Oh my god!” Claire exclaims and then wraps her arms around my neck. “I can’t believe it! You’re the father!” She says while jumping up and down.

The words seemed to take awhile to process in my brain. “I-I’m so happy!” I admit as tears of happiness sting my eyes. I hold Claire against my, just enjoying this moment with her.

Neither of us said anything for awhile. The silence engulfed us. Not saying a word was our communication. We could say so much to each other without having to open our mouths.

“I still can’t believe this… I’m just… this is… I just, can’t… I’m so happy.” It was hard to stop smiling. I was starting to smile so big that my cheeks ached. I look down at Claire and lean in to give her a giant kiss. Her hands tangled in my hair as mine rested on her hips, pulling her body closer toward mine. The electricity between us drove me crazy. Crazy in love.

“Should we tell Niall?” She asks after breaking our long, passionate kiss. I nod and pull out my phone. “How about you do it?” I say and place the iPhone in her hand. “Why me?” Her eyes bug out and she tries to hand me it back, but I refuse. “I think it will just be better if you do.” She rolls her eyes and turns her attention to the phone, where she dials Niall’s number.

I stare at her as I watch her nervously chew her bottom lip while the phone rings.

“Hey Niall!” She says in a chipper voice after he picks up. I can hear his voice on the other end, except it’s very muffled, and I can’t make out his words. “I have news for you.” She stops and takes a deep breath, looking down at the floor.

“You’re not the father!” She exclaims and then lets out a nervous laugh.

Immediately after she’s done talking, I hear Niall talking very loud and fast on the other end. He was probably saying how relieved he was.

“Okay, bye.” She says after he is finished chatting a mile a minute. She hands me my phone with an odd look on her face.

“Everything okay?” I ask as I slip it in the pocket of my shorts. “Yeah… I guess. I don’t know.” She gazes down at an irrelevant spot on the floor as she walks over to the couch and plops down. “Niall said how happy he was, and that he was glad it was your’s. But I don’t believe him. He seemed almost disappointed about it.” She glances my way.

It was almost like she was oblivious to this. She didn’t understand that Niall had a crush on her. He always had. That’s why he got upset back in America when he learned that her and I were a couple. That’s why he took the first chance he got to get in her pants after I “died”. That’s why he was upset the baby wasn’t his.

It was almost like he was jealous of me because I had everything he wanted. Claire.