Chapter 38

(Claire’s POV)

Everything happens for a reason. Things just don’t happen without reasoning behind it. Me getting pregnant made me realize that I was meant to be with Josh. The love Gods were pointing me in the right direction. And that direction was towards Josh.

I was laying on the couch, pressed up against Josh. Everything was so peaceful. And serene. I wish things could stay like this forever.

“Babe…” I whisper, breaking the comfortable silence.

“Hmm.” He murmurs. I feel the vibration in his chest.

“When are we going to tell the rest of the boys?” They should know sooner rather than later. Something told me that Niall told them though. How could he not? They were his best friends.

“We could have them all over, maybe for dinner.” He suggests and looks at me with a sweet smile on his face.

Dinner with those crazy hoodlums would be fun and hectic, but still fun. They were an entertaining bunch and always knew how to make me smile and laugh.

“Dinner sounds like a great idea,” I say and mentally scan through all the foods we have in the fridge that I was aware of. “But I’ll need to take a trip to the grocery store.” Our supply of food was getting low, and we sure didn’t have enough to feed seven mouths.

“How about you go to the store, and I’ll stay here and clean up a little? I’ll also call all the boys and invite them over.” He starts to sit up, stretching his hands over his head.

“Alright.” I get up from the couch and grab my purse from the bedroom.

I don’t know why the thought even crossed my mind, but all I could think about was that first morning we were in the flat. When Josh went to the store, and I stayed home sleeping… the morning he got in the car accident. I shook off the sick feeling deep in my stomach and headed for the door.

“Hey.” Josh says behind me. I turn around, raising my eyebrows. “You’re gonna leave without giving me a kiss goodbye?”

I run towards him, slamming into him hard and wrapping my arms around his neck. I give him a small peck on the lips and then continue my way out of the flat.

The cool breeze hits my face as I step outside. The fresh air felt nice. Everything felt nice now that everything was better. No more anxiety. No more stress. I pull my hood over my head as I walk down the sidewalk. It was convenient that our flat was only a few blocks away from a Tesco.

I pop my headphones into my ears, smiling to myself when my favorite song came up on shuffle. Three songs later I arrived at Tesco, grateful that it looked more vacant than usual. I could get in and out fast.

I was minding my own business, grabbing bags of chips and loading them into the cart, when two girls walk by me whispering to each other.

“Isn’t that Claire Richards?” I heard the taller, brunette say to her much shorter blond friend. “Oh my gawd, it is!” She exclaims. They both nervously walk towards me. I pretend like I’m immersed in reading the back of a chip bag. Eight grams of fat in a bag of Doritos. Hmmm… so interesting…

“Excuse me?” The tall one breaks my thoughts on nutrition. “Hi, can we please get a picture with you?” They both smile hopefully.

“With me?” I look around, almost expecting Niall or even Josh to be standing behind me. Why would they want a picture with me? Wait, hold the front door, how do they even know who I am? I’m just Claire. A girl who just happens to be friends with the boys. A girl who just happens to be dating Josh. I’m not famous. I’m not even worth fangirling over.