Chapter 20

(Claire’s POV)

I ended up sleeping over at the hospital that night. I wasn’t going to miss the possibility of Josh waking up. I wanted to be the first face he saw.

The nurses were constantly in and out the room, tending to Josh. They told me that talking to him would improve the healing process. Whenever I was alone with him, I’d pour my heart out, telling him how I was worried about him. I’d also talk about Niall and how he helped me during those terrible couple of days when he was presumed dead.

During one of my long talks to Josh one day, I notice something unusual about him. His eyes flutter slightly. “Oh my god!” I jump up, and a nurse comes rushing in. “His eyes just fluttered! That’s a good sign, right?” I ask with hope. “Yes! That is an improvement.” She shoots me a warm smile. “Do you have any guesses on when he’ll come out of a coma?” I take a seat in the chair I’ve been spending most of my time in.

I only left the room at night when I went home. Visiting hours were really strict. I would wake up early and come back to the hospital when visiting hours started until they ended. Niall, on the other hand, rarely visited. I wish he could make more appearances, but he was busy recording a new album. The other boys had stopped by though, bringing balloons and flowers and supplying me with big, bear hugs. They cheered me up on the days when it wasn’t looking so good for Josh. Ben was also a frequent visitor. I was really getting to know him.

I look at the nurse, being brought back from the memories of the last few weeks. “With his inconsistent condition, it’s hard to predict when he’ll wake up, but with the way thins have been, it’ll be soon.” She adjusts some monitors and then leaves the room quietly.

I sigh and begin to draw random shapes on Josh’s arm with my fingers. His arm suddenly moves, almost like a twitch, but more. I sit up straighter as my eyes narrow in on him. My eyes move from his arms to his face when I notice him fluttering his eyes again. I was glad the bandage was off his face now. It made it easier to tell if he was starting to arouse.

“Josh?” I ask hesitantly, not expecting an answer, but hoping. A weak groan comes from deep in his chest. “Josh.” I say once again. His eyes stop fluttering all around, and they open all the way. They look all around the room, taking everything in. I didn’t know what to do. Experience the great moment by myself or call the nurse…

“Josh, it’s me, Claire.” I grab his hand and smile at him. He pulls it out of my touch and gives me a weird look. Small steps. I reminded myself.

I find the remote that’s connected to the bed and press the nurse button. “How are you feeling?” I ask hoping that maybe he’d start to become more conscious with the familiar sound of my voice. “I’m tired. And sore…” His voice is quiet and very shy. “I called for the nurse. She might be able to help with your pain.” I say cheerfully.

“How long have I been here?” He asks as he shifts his body slightly. He could barely move, due to his broken leg. “It’s been two weeks since the accident.” It seems like they had been the longest two weeks of my life.

“Do you remember much from the accident?” I ask curiously. I doubt he did. It was all probably just a massive blur. “Bits and pieces…” He trails off as he looks me up and down.

“Can I ask you a question?” His eyelids blink heavily as he asks me. I nod, finding it a bit odd that he was asking that.

He chews on his bottom lip. “Who are you?”