Chapter 21

A/N: Feel free to leave some comments. Anything random. Just something to make me smile. Hope you guys are liking where this is going.

* * * *

(Claire's POV)

I can’t believe what I just heard. He had to be joking. “W-what?” I stutter, not able to get it out. “Who are you? Do I know you or something?” He looks at me with a blank stare.

The nurse walk in and sees the horrified expression on my face. “How are you?” She asks Josh as she sits down on the opposite side of the bed as me. “I’m okay. Just a bit confused. What’s going on?” He sounds so helpless.

Silent tears run down my cheeks. I try to brush them away before Josh sees, but he already has his eyes locked on me. “You were in a car accident and have been in a coma for two weeks.” She starts out by telling him. “Can you tell me your name?” I notice her fiddling around with a clipboard, taking notes. “Josh Devine.” He answers.

Relief washed over me suddenly. He knew his own name. That was good. “How old are you, Josh?” I listen to her ask as I pull out my phone. I compose a text message to Niall, telling him that Josh is awake and that I needed him. “Twenty-one.” Josh answers confidently. ‘When’s your birthday?” She scribbles something down and then looks up at him. “July Ninth.” He looks at me uncomfortably and then shifts his arms around. I wasn’t liking the looks he was giving me.

She asks him more basic questions like what his parents names were, about his brother, where he lived, little things about his childhood, and some of his favorite things. Whenever he would answer a question, the nurse would look over at me. If it was right I would nod, and then she’d begin scribbling in her notes again.

The questions were just about done when Niall walks into the room. He smiles awkwardly and waves at Josh. “Do you know who this is?” The nurse stands up and gestures toward the Irishman. Josh shakes his head. “Niall, Claire… how about we talk in the hallway.” She sets her clipboard on the counter and leads us out the room. “

His memory is better than I expected. He can remember most things about himself and especially his childhood. It seems like he’s having trouble recollecting things and people from the most recent events in his life.”

My stomach drops as she explains this to us.

“We can assure you, though, that the amnesia is only temporary. In time certain things will be able to trigger memories. We suggest that you bring in pictures, clothing, music, and such to help him. Talking to him definitely helps, but forcing him to remember something will not help in the process at all. It could take months until his full memory is back. Patience is the key.” As she said this, I stare down at the tiled floor, listening intently on her words. “Since he doesn’t know who you are, make sure to introduce yourself.” She tells us then walks away.

I shiver and turn to Niall. “He doesn’t even know who I am.” I whisper. “How could he ever forget you, Claire?” You’re the love of his life. He’ll soon remember.” He pulls me into a tight hug. I bury my head in his chest as I let the tears flow from my eyes. I pull back and see a giant wet spot on his t-shirt. We both laugh and then go back inside the room.

Josh watches us as we both walk over to the chairs beside his bed. “Are you two dating?” He asks after we’ve both taken a seat. “No! No, no, no, no!” I exclaim and shake my head vigorously. “Are you dating anyone?” He sure did ask a lot of questions. “Yeah… I am.” I look down at my lap as I dig my nails into my jeans. “That’s what I thought. You’re too pretty to be single. He must be a lucky guy.” He says with a smile.

Tears sting my eyes. Don’t cry. Be strong. I tell myself. If only he knew that that lucky guy was him. “I’m Claire, by the way.” I say quietly, trying to change the subject. “And I’m Niall.” Josh doesn’t say anything for a minute. I was wondering if anything jogged his brain, bringing back a memory.

Josh asks us a lot of questions about ourselves. He seems really curious in the two of us. Sometimes it would be hard answering because I’d have to tweek the truth about Josh and I. “You seem very familiar, like I know you.” He points out to me. “Maybe you do…” I shrug, feeling my stomach sinking once again.

This was going to one rollercoaster, his healing, but I didn’t mind. He was alive and awake. That’s all that mattered. His memory would come back soon. I knew it. I’d try everything in my power to help him through this long journey, because I love him. Even if he doesn’t remember that.