Chapter 17

Leo's POV

Tucking my legs under my blanket, I scratched Bubbles' ears who got onto me for some snuggles while scrolling through my Twitter timeline. The sound of the rugby game that was on filled the room and it made a great background noise. Peaches was just lazying around in a corner as usual. She was just so aloof to cuddles unless she wanted them, then she'd come when you're busy.

Just when I began falling asleep on the couch, Bubbles scrambled off me and ran towards the door and began howling at the door just as the doorbell rang. It was my mum. I yawned and scratched my chin. Another sleepless night left me cranky and very tired. I only stayed awake that afternoon because my mum and her husband, Ian told me they were going to drop by, otherwise I would have either passed out from exhaustion or taken something to help me sleep.

"Baby!!!!" my mum squealed as she hugged me hard enough to almost crack my ribs when I opened the door. I laughed softly as I pecked her cheek. Bubbles ran past us and jumped into Ian's arms. Ian and Bubbles became friends over the period of time I always dropped her off with my mum. My mum wasn't a dog lover but she let me drop Bubbles off at their place whenever I couldn't leave her with the James'

"Hi mum. Hey Ian. Good afternoon."

"What's up kiddo?" Ian asked with a grin as he scratched Bubbles beneath the chin and she howled happily. At my age, he still called me kiddo. My mum and Ian have been together for over 7 years and recently got married. She had earlier refused to marry him was because she didn't want to feel like she was betraying my father's memory.

My family had been very close. My parents had always been there loving and sweet but very strict. They taught me at a very early stage that just because there's money doesn't mean I could throw it around and away, that nothing good comes easy and free of charge and so I had to work hard and be responsible. I had chores and got t dollars every time I completed them properly and somewhere along the line, I became very particular about how I do things and my friends began describing me as an anal retentive person. They found that side of me very annoying. Back in college, I was always like Keith don't touch my stuff if you won't keep it back the way you found it.

My parents ensured that I learned the meaning of respect and how to do it and in as much as they were very strict, they still related with me very well and ensured I was free and comfortable enough to open up to them if I had any problems. And so at my age, my mum still came around to check how I was doing and bring food because she didn't want her baby to lose more weight.

"Nothing much Ian. It's so good to see you guys. It has been a while. Come on in." I said to them and my mom made her way in with the food basket while Ian played his favorite game with Bubbles. He'd tell her to stay, then balance something on her nose and when she succeeds in staying and not dropping it, he gives her a treat. He comes with doggie treats everytime. He's probably her favorite human after Danica and me.

Ian is a really good guy and he really loved my mother and that was all that mattered go me.
My dad and mum had beenmarried for almost 10 years before they had me. They'd been a love match, best friends, lovers, parents, husband and wife, soul mates. When he died, she felt like the world was over but what kept her going was me. She didn't think she could ever be with anyone again. Even when she began going out with Ian, it had been just for the sake of it. Back then, I had overheard her telling him 'I am willing to try but I don't know if I'll even be able to love you the way I loved Johnny...I'm sorry.' That was when I learned that sometimes, love hurts. It was obvious he loved my mother and the pain I saw on his face when she said that looked so...raw but he told her it didn't matter, that he just wanted an opportunity to be with her. Back then, all I could think was what's the point of being with someone at your own expense? What's the point of being with someone you can't have? What's the point of loving someone who says she doesn't believe she can ever love you the way she loved her dead husband? It didn't make sense to me. He stuck around though and slowly, little by little, she began returning his feelings. Imagine my surprise when she called me three weeks ago to tell me that they eloped. My 63 years-old mother eloped. I'm still having a hard time processing that, regardless of how happy I am for them.