Chapter 40

Leo

My heart was rapidly pounding in my chest and there was nothing I could do to stop it because I was feeling nervous, anxious, excited and a whole lot of things at once.

"I promise to spend the rest of my days trying to make you happy. I would never hurt you intentionally and I hope to grow old with you." I heard myself say. I initially had a whole speech planned but I had forgotten every word of it and was now just winging it.

I had been working on proposing to her since the week to Christmas, finding the perfect ring, thinking of the perfect venue, wondering if I should do it in the presence of family and friends or in private. I had taken my time to think it true and I had made decisions, only for a number of things to change last minute because they felt too small for her.

I initially planned on doing it in a room, with music and champagne and roses and the rest of it but I realised that that was too mediocre for this woman that completed me. So I changed my plans and had Olivia -an old classmate that deals in jewelry- help me make the new changes after she delivered the pieces I chose.

As the seconds ticked by with me on my knee, ring in hand, while she sat there and just stared at me saying nothing, I felt my smile falter. She's going to say no I thought. Fuck! She's going to be all 'Been there, done that, no big deal, marriage is just a sham, we should just continue dating. We don't need to get married. It doesn't matter. It's not a big deal to me. People stay in long term relationships and have kids all the time.'

My ears rang. I was so lost in my head I didn't notice her move from the chair and get on her knees before me until she wrapped her arms around me. Was she comforting me? I instinctively wrapped my own trembling arms around her. It took some seconds for me to process the words I heard through my ringing ears. "...es! Yes! Yes! Yes a thousand and one times!!"

"Wait. Yes? Really?" I heard myself ask, the catch in my voice unmistakable.

She pulled away to look at me with welled up tears in her eyes and then she lightly punched my chest playfully. "Of course. Yes. I will." She said yes. She said yes! She got on her feet and thrust her left hand out before me with the biggest smile on her face. I slipped the ring on her ring finger and she squealed happily and stretched out her arm to look at the ring and then she pulled me to my feet with that hidden monstrous strength of hers. She pulled me down to her level and then kissed me hard. I was putty in her hands. If she dragged me over an edge of willingly go with her.

"I love you so much." She whispered against my lips and I returned the same words to her, though they felt too small to convey how I actually felt about her. When the kiss ended and I rested my forehead against hers, I hummed and then sighed happily. Best day of my fucking life. I'd planned to propose to her today. It was supposed to be all about her but it ended up being about me. A baby and a fiancée.

"If this is a dream, I don't ever want to wake up." I said and yelped when she pinched my butt. "Babe! Why the fuck are you so violent?"

"Just showing you you're awake."

"You could have just smacked my ass instead of pinching it."

She gasped, feigning shock and placing a hand on her chest while she looked like I said something scandalous. "What? No! That's for the bedroom, kind Sir." She then said with an innocent look on her face and then she snorted before laughing out loud. "I'm sorry." She said before patting my abused butt. "I'll kiss the booboo when I take off your clothes tonight."

"Who said I'm going to let you take off my clothes tonight?"

"You would deny me access to your body?" She gasped dramatically and I grinned.