Chapter 19

Hi! Hope you all are well.

"Words in double quotes" - Talking

'Words in single quotes' - Thoughts

(Words in braces) - Telephone conversations

Chapter 13 - What?!

"What do you mean aunty? These are my cousins. Hence, these are your sons, Samay and Nikhil." Swara spoke in an obvious voice. 'Did they remain so detached from their sons all these years that they have forgotten their faces?! Aish! Unbelievable!'

Sumita shook her head vigorously. "No Swara. These aren't my sons. I would know how they look like! And...and what are you calling them? My sons...their names are Arav and Raghav. Not Samay and Nikhil."

"Wh-what?! What is this? Is this some kind of joke?!" Shramishtha shouted. "Sashi, is this one of your jokes brother? Stop being so childish!"

"It's not! Trust me sis, these aren't our kids. It's true that we are guilty of not giving them our time as parents. But there is no way I would forget their faces!"

Shramishtha could feel her head spinning sigh questions. She turned to the only ones who she knew must have the answers. "Samay, Nikhil...what is all this?"

The brothers nodded towards each other and looked back at Shramishtha. "Shramishtha aunty, they're right. They aren't our parents. It's because..." he glared towards them. "These are frauds!"

"What?!"

"Trust me Shramishtha aunty. These are just some frauds!" Nikhil added. "They're lying."

"But..But that's my brother. How could I mistake him!?" Shramishtha asked in bewilderment.

"Think about it Shramishtha aunty. You haven't seen your brother for over twenty years. You could make mistakes. Does he even keep you updated by sending some pictures or any other information?"

Shramishtha looked down. Bulbul spoke for her. "No Samay. Never did they contact us in these years. It was only you two who kept in touch. In these three years. Before that, you said you were busy with your careers abroad."

"Exactly! Our parents never attempted to contact you. Only we came back because we wanted people who valued us as family over work. They never valued relations, so why come back so suddenly?!"

 They never valued relations, so why come back so suddenly?!"

"But th-"

"We have helped you, been with you through three years. Why would we lie to you?" Nikhil pleaded.