Chapter Six: I'm Good at Other Things Too

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT

"So," Beck chimed in, innocently changing the topic by capturing everyone's attention, "what do you do for a living, Adaline?" He had been so much more joyous and soothing, having this genuine interest in his tone

"So," Beck chimed in, innocently changing the topic by capturing everyone's attention, "what do you do for a living, Adaline?" He had been so much more joyous and soothing, having this genuine interest in his tone. He'd definitely been my cup of tea, someone I would probably grow more comfortable to than Jack. But did I crave the same, unpretentious relationship like with Will? A relationship where everything was effortless and there was no unpredictable events, everything flowing like the waves of the ocean?

"I'm a marriage therapist," I enlightened, lightly wrapping my fingers around the stem of the wine glass, "talk to people about their problems all day." My lips sipped the wine as he nodded compassionately, side glancing towards Bridget. He probably already knew this information.

"Well do you make enough money for that?" He joked, raising his brows in question.

I chuckled and nodded my head, the glass still fitting between my fingers, "yeah, but most of it is going towards my savings right now--the future, ya know."

"What exactly does your future have in store, Adaline," Jack's haughty, patronizing tone kissed the air before me, his expression quirked with this condescending haze. He sat back against his chair at this point, his pointed nose angled completely towards me in interest. My eyes narrowed at him as a way to silently warn him to back off, the aggression ready to jump out in my words.

"Marriage, children, a home?" I sassed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Jack furrowed his brows and his lips curled into a teasing smile, "you want children?" He gestured down to my appearance with his eyes, seemingly finding it hilarious that I desired to be a mother. It was something I hoped for in the future, the longing strengthening after the miscarriage with Will. It brought a slight void to my soul and I wanted to fill it again someday.

"Why, what's wrong with kids? You don't want any?" I tartly responded, tilting my head with irritated confusion, not quite understanding the comedy in the whole situation.

Jack still wears his amused smirk, staring fiercely with his deep brown eyes, "I'm just giving you a hard time, sweetheart."

As the dinner progressed, we all began to converse more casually, though, Jack's eyes were always observing my expressions and digesting my words. It was enjoyable and lively, refreshing me on how it is to attend dinners with new people. Beck was humoress and astoundingly quick-witted, commenting on things without an hesitation. Jack was the same, though a little more tamed with his words, revealing exactly why they had been such good friends.

I had learned that Bridget met them at the gym one time, literally running into them on the track when she wasn't paying attention. They got to talking and Beck was overbearingly flirting with her, hoping to receive her number. And when he did, it was made out to both of them, revealing her disinterest in the poor man.