Chapter Thirty-three: Easy Mission

[WARNING: This chapter contains a mild gore scene and also a brief sexual scene. The gore isn't really easily skippable, as it is very brief, but if you want to skip the sexual content, stop at "Though I'm tired, I do not argue..." and continue again at the skip marks.]

~Chapter Thirty-three: Easy Mission~

"Atasah-aum."

I look up from the small bag I am packing for my upcoming mission to eye the prince standing in the doorway. Unfortunately, it is not my prince, as that is who I thought it was when the main room's door opened a minute ago and no one announced themselves, but the brother of my fiance. I am not sure how long he has been standing there since I was more focused on the mental list I compiled of what to pack, and thinking it was Nero, I just dismissed the presence entirely, as I know my fiance is busy preparing to leave as well.

"Need something?" I ask, after a moment of silence.

Felix regards me quietly for a moment before stepping into the room and taking a seat in a chair. "I would like to make a request, if you would be willing to hear it," he says, and though he is giving me an out, it must be important if he would come to me for it.

That, or it's just something I'm best equipped for.

"If this is about the mission, I promise I won't let Nero come to any harm. He won't even be involved in the fighting," I tell Felix.

My fiance's brother waves his hand dismissively. "I'm not really worried about my brother; he can handle himself, just as you can. Though I appreciate the promise, I will only feel better about this when you are both back safely," he says, and then he shakes his head. "But that's not why I'm here."

I wait for him to say more, but then I remember that he actually wants to make sure I want to hear the request, so I gesture for him to continue. "Let's hear it, then."

"My father has recently informed me that he will be passing the crown onto me within the next two decades. And when he does that, I will need to build up my own Court and allies, as all Pacific kings do," Felix explains, though I am still not really sure what this has to do with me, as it is not like I am going to oppose him rising to the throne or anything. "I already know that I can count on Nero-aum, and I would hope that I can count you as an ally in connection to my brother-"

I nod in confirmation.

"-but I do not want you to just be a simple ally. I would like to ask something greater," he continues, and I suck in a breath, caught between concern and interest. Something greater could be anything from advisor to executioner, and I am definitely not qualified for anything political. "I would like you to promote you to Captain of the Royal Guard. I do not know how it would compare to being a Hellion captain or the Yabrogathian equivalent of Captain of the Guard, but I would make sure that you are well-versed in the title well before my coronation."

"What kind of responsibilities would I be expected to take on?" I ask, as I only vaguely know of what it is like to be Captain of the Guard, as it is a prestigious but mysterious title in Yabrogath. The Captain of the Guard - especially a Royal Guard - is very different from being a normal captain, as it is less reliant on rank and more reliant on ability. The Captain of the Guard can be any rank over a Sergeant in Yabrogath, but they control the entire Royal security force. Here, though, I am not sure what the title could mean.

Felix considers this for a moment before explaining, "First off, it would mean that you would be staying in the Capital City - where we are currently - with Nero-aum rather than moving to another Pacific city as a ruling Duke, as tradition would usually require of any brothers I have and their soulmates. I have already spoken to Nero about this, and he says he would be okay with any decision you make.