All I Want

After falling asleep with Elizabeth on my chest, a loud banging on my door woke me up. My eyes opened up and I looked around my living room, confused. I sat up and laid Elizabeth down on the other side of the couch as I went to open the door.

Turning the door knob, I slowly swung the door open to see a strangly familiar presence standing in front of me. She was wearing a pair of worn down, old blue jeans with a columbia fishing shirt that matched her light blue eyes. With black combat boots, she completed her look by pulling her brown hair back into a ponytail.

I stood there, amazed at the power of my dreams again. Looking at me, Kate shrugged her shoulders and gave me a warm, friendly smile. "Bet you weren't expecting to see me, huh?" she asked as she came casually strolling into my house.

"Kate, hi. Wha- what are you doing here?" I asked her in return as I shut the door behind her.

She answered, "I came here to find out what the hell is going on with you."

The sound of her southern accent brought me back to the memories that we've shared when she was working with Jane and me. The last I've heard of her, she got deployed overseas and had to leave BPD. We were all pretty devastated that Kate left us, for she became part of the family. That is, until she left.

"How do you know what's going on?" I asked her, trying to make sense of this as I placed my hand on the top of my pregnant belly and rested it there.

She sighed as she took a seat at the dining room table, "Rizzoli called me last night and told me. She was pretty upset."

"You still talk to Jane?"

"Yeah. But enough of me, how are ya?" she questioned.

"I'm not sure. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I mean, I can end someone else's life for my own benefit, or I can save someone else's life and put mine in risk. And you know..." I wiped the tears from me eyes and continued, "...I have to think about my baby and think about my boyfriend... Jane and Angela... And I just don't know what to choose."

"You know what Maur, both of our parents were only halfway committed. And I'm not gonna be like all those people and tell you that I'm not gonna help with this decision, because I'm gonna tell you what I think you should do."

"Alright..."

As she began to speak, she was tapping the table with her index finger with every word that drifted out of her mouth, "You're so worried about saving this unborn child's life, when you forgot that you already have a beautiful daughter who's depending on you and counting on you to be there every minute of her life. You don't want to put your life in risk when you have that little girl."

"So you think I should end the pregnancy?"

"That's exactly what I think," she spoke just as Bret walked into the room.

"I told her that too," he told Kate as he walked over to her chair to greet himself. "Hey, I'm Bret."

"Kate," she smiled as she reached in front to shake his hand. "Who the hell are you?" she asked him. This right here reminded me of the old Kate. Or back when she was still working with us.

"Kate, this is my boyfriend Bret," I stood up and announced as I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

She stood up and nodded, "He's not a psychopath, is he?"

I chuckled, "No."

As Kate examined him from top to bottom, she told me, "Well then I think you did a hell of a job picking the guy."

"I love him," I whispered as I smiled up to Bret. As he bent down to kiss me, Kate pretended to gag which made us all laugh. The three of us sat around the dining room table as Elizabeth slept the rest of the morning. Kate was asking us all different questions ranging from our relationship, to Elizabeth.