There's No Easy Way

Taking in everything the nurse has told me, I kept twirling my thumbs together. I didn't know what to think or how to respond. All I know is that I felt as if someone has dropped an anvil on my life. Time is at a complete standstill right now and I just want to lay right down and die. 

She kept staring at me as I was fixated on the floor. Taking a seat next to me, she started to rub my back and softly spoke, "Are you alright Doctor Isles?"

"Um..." I whispered as my voice began to crack. Looking next to me to the nurse, I continued, "... I uh... Can I just make a quick phone call before we continue?"

"Absolutely, I will meet you out in the lobby in fifteen minutes," she said as she left the room. I then bent over and rested my head on my knees for a few seconds. Sitting up straight, I looked up to the ceiling and closed my eyes, thinking about what the hell just happened. 

Walking down into the lobby, Jane was sitting in a chair waiting for me. I took a seat next to her and stared blankly in front of me. "Hey Maur, is everything alright?" she asked, making me snap back into reality. I looked over at her and asked, "Can you- can you call Bret and ask him to come to the hospital as soon as he can? But, without the baby."

"Yeah, sure... Are you alright?" 

I stared back in front of me and replied, "I'm- I'm not sure yet."

It wasn't much longer after that when Bret ran in the hospital in a frenzy. "Maura! What's wrong?!" he yelled, running over to us. I stood up and wrapped my arms around him, finally letting the emotions get to me. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I buried my face in his shoulder and started sobbing. 

He pushed me off of him and rested his hands on my shoulders. "What happened?" he asked me. Jane stood up out of her seat and rubbed soothing circles on my back. "It's okay to tell us, Maur," she whispered. 

I tried to stop my tears as I shifted my attention to the both of them. Looking over to Jane and then back to Bret, I began to tell them, "Well... The blood results showed an excessively high white blood cell count in my mammary glands..."

"Okay..." Bret whispered as Jane asked, "Well, wha- what does that mean?"

I choked back my tears and I could feel my lip begin to quiver as I continued, "They want to give me an emergency mammogram and biopsy."

Jane started to assume, "Maura... Are you trying to tell us that you have--"

I cut her off in mid sentence as I looked at her, then to Bret, then back to her, "...Breast Cancer."

Just as I broke the news to them, the nurse came out into the waiting room. "Doctor Isles, are you ready?" she asked me. Knowing that this is a private examination, I gave Jane a hug and she whispered, "I'll be right here waiting."

"Thank you," I softly thanked her as I turned to Bret and locked eyes with him. He had a shy smile pasted on his face as I shurgged my shoulders. "I'm scared..." I whispered to him. Taking a step towards me, he ran his fingers through my hair and held my head in place as he emotionally pressed his lips to mine. "You're not going through this alone," he told me.

I quickly kissed him one more time before responding to the nurse, "I'm ready."

We started to walk towards the elevator to go upstairs to the examination room. As the elavator doors slid open, I turned around to look at Jane and Bret. Knowing that they're going to sit right in those two chairs gave me enormous hope inside. I blew both of them a kiss as the doors closed behind me.

~~~

Jane's POV

"What are you thinking?" I asked Bret as we waited for Maura's exam to get finished.