12. Mommys and Daddys

Start from the beginning

"Carl,  I want you to keep your head up okay. Your old man, he's the toughest son of a-"

"No cussing in the house" Patritia scolded

"Bitch, shit fu-" I mumbled under my breath

"Hey now little lady no need to be disrespectful" Shane whispered with a smirk

I didn't know he heard me and I turned a bit red with embarrassment. Then people started to call Lori down and they didn't know where she was. But I did. Then I remembered what I promised her and started to get nervous.

If I told them where she went and they found her she would be mad at me. But if I did tell them on her whereabouts then they could help her if she was in trouble.

I started to get a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities and started to nervously tug on my fingers.

Suddenly everyone stood up and started to run round like headless chickens. They were all asking each other where she was. Why didn't they just ask me? I woulda told em. I think anyway. Miss Carol said she was gonna go ask daddy if he knew, so I just stayed in the kitchen eating my soggy bread all on my own. Soon Miss Carol came in and cleaned me up a bit and asked me if she wanted ta go see daddy. I nodded my head and we held each other's hands and walked across the dark field to mine and daddy's camp.

He had lotsa squirrel hanging up. Oh how I wish I could have had some squirrel for dinner instead of green beans and soggy bread. My mouth watered at the thought. Miss Carol stopped at daddy's ear necklace. Even though it was disgusting, it was still pretty cause my daddy made it.

"What are you doin" Daddy sniggered from behind us. Carol jumped but it didn't faze me.

"Keeping an eye on you" she responded calmly

"Ain't you a peach" he hissed

"We're not gonna let you pull away" she said squeezing my tiny hand "you've earned your place"

"If you spent half your time minding your daughters business instead a stickin yer nose in everybody else's shed still be alive!"

Rude.

"Go ahead" miss carol said meekly

"Go ahead n what?.... I mean just go! I don't want you here!"

Did daddy not want me no more? Did I upset him?

"Your a real piece of work lady." He said getting right up in miss carols personal space bubble. "What, are you gonna make this about my daddy or some crap like that? Man you know jack." He kept going. He was like a volcano. And he was erupting.

"Your afraid. Your afraid cause your all alone."

I'm alone too. Does that mean I'm afraid? I don't want to believe I'm alone. Am I? I got daddy, Miss Carol, Momma Lori, Ricky, Carl, Glenny and Maggie. I'm not alone... right?

"You got no husband. No daughter. You don't know what to do with yourself. You ain't my problem! Sophia wasn't mine! All you had to do was keep an eye on her!"

I whimpered behind miss carol and clutched her hand tightly. Daddy was being really loud. I don't like loud noises. I'm not his. Does that mean he don't like me like family? It was if he forgot I was there until he looked at me as my eyes started to glaze over. His eyes softened slightly before going to angry again. He and Miss Carol has a staring contest sort of and then I saw headlights of a car. Miss Carol noticed too and took one last long look at daddy before dragging me away from him towards the approaching car across the field.

What was it with people dragging me away from an upset daddy today? First Momma Lori and now miss Carol.. jeez it's been a long day already.

We quickly approached the house and me and Carl leapt on Momma Lori who got out the car. She was bloody and had been in a car accident. She hugged us both back but then started to shout at Shane who apparently lied. I wasn't paying attention until Shane said the last sentence.