Chapter 38: Humanity's Freedom

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, I already told you," Chi laughed. "But before anything else, I have to—I have to apologize." Pushing his lips away, she whispered, "I can't remember everything. The last thing I can remember from before the moment I woke up was when I jumped off of the—the roof. After that, I have fuzzy memories of you—" Levi's shoulders stiffened and her voice faltered.

"What are you—" Levi began, but Chi cut him off.

"The thing that stands out the most is the look on your face before I was kidnapped. I put you through so much pain, and I'm so, so sorry because of that." Gently cupping his cheek in her hand, she apologized profusely. "I can't believe I said things like that to you, even though I'd forgotten a lot of things. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget that image. I'm so sorry, Levi. I hate myself for making you suffer." Her vice grip on her shirt made her knuckles turn a pale white. "I don't deserve you at all... not one bit."

A few moments of silence passed.

"You can shut up now," Levi scoffed as he pulled Chi closer, burying his nose in her hair. "Do you really think that's going to stop me from loving you? You suffered a battle between blades and guns to come see me—to find me! That alone and a million other things disprove everything you just said."

Chi tried pulling away again, furrowing her brows. "But, Levi—"

"I told you to shut up, didn't I?" Taking away the remainders of her breath, Levi leaned in and stole another deep kiss, this one lingering and full of longing. "I wouldn't care even if you were the one to kill me. I'd still love you forever, you idiot."

~~~~~

Night fell.

The sky was covered in stars that glittered brilliantly; they glowed so much brighter than Chi had ever seen before. She sat leisurely beside the crackling fire with the others gathered round, but Sasha was busy keeping surveillance. Armin had recovered enough to shake himself free from his breakdown, but Chi could see that when she looked at his eyes, they were as empty and haunted as the dead of night. There was a heavy atmosphere among the wanted criminals, despite Chi's return. It seemed that everybody had not yet entirely recovered from the events of that day.

Everyone was quietly snacking on a piece of rationed food that tasted rather similar to tree bark.

"What's the matter, Armin?" Levi asked, both the young boy and himself being the only one to hesitate with their portions. "Can't eat in a filthy little horse stable like this?"

"No," the boy replied, his snack hovering in front of his mouth, waiting to be devoured. A few moments of deathly silence was laid upon them until he spoke again in his hollow, feeble voice. "Jean."

"What is it?" Jean answered slowly, his eyes steadily trained on Armin.

"There's... there's one thing I don't understand. When I was trying to draw my gun, I honestly didn't think I would make it in time. That woman already her her gun pointed at you... and still yet, how come I was the first one who pulled the trigger?" Another cold silence followed and Armin repeated Jean's name, begging for an answer through his large, terrified eyes.

"Because she hesitated for a moment," Levi answered instead, his demeanor nonchalant. "Right?"

Jean gritted his teeth and breathed a shaky sigh, saying, "Armin, I'm sorry. This is all because I didn't shoot."

"Oh," Armin murmured. "So that's how it was. The person I killed must've been a nice person... someone more human than me. I pulled the trigger right away, but I—"

"Armin," Levi interjected. "Your hands are already dirty. You can't return to how you used to be." There was yet another short silence, but this one was broken by appalled gasps and disbelieving stares when everyone realized the direness of his words.