Chapter 43 - Fire

Start from the beginning

Fiona fought his way through the police line and joined him in the ambulance. Lewis and I walked towards his shop afterwards feeling lost on what to do next. That's when we noticed Ximena having a heated discussion with a police officer while Jaden tried to control her. He saw us through the gate and turned her around. Lewis exited the grounds and held her in his arms and I wished Zoe was here to comfort me as well.

"Charlie, what's happening? Have you seen Brian?" Piper stood behind me, holding Deirdre on her hip, and the words seemed stuck in my throat. "I just got to the house and saw the smoke."

"Brian... Got burned in the fire. Fiona left in the ambulance with him."

Piper placed Deidre on the ground and held her stomach as she tried to find something to hold on to. I did my best to support her and shouted to a paramedic that I needed help. The shock we felt was extreme, but for her it was a nightmare.

Since then, we have trickled into the hospital waiting on news. At this moment all we know is that the employees who were in the ride inhaled smoke and a security man sustained burns but not as grave as the ones Brian got.

"Thanks, Ximena," I hear Zoe say as she offers her a cup of coffee. 

For the past hours I haven't been able to even drink water, I just can't stomach even a drop. My body feels cold and not even Zoe's arms around my body seem to give me the heat I need. We've been taking turns giving the police statements on what we saw and answering their questions. We know the area behind the Love Tunnel is prone to get vandalized when kids try to sneak in the grounds, so at this point arson has not been ruled out.

Zoe lays her head on my good shoulder and her hand holds mine. The news spread as fast as the fire and she called me to check if I was okay. When I told her about Brian, she picked me up and brought me here as she knows how much the Connors mean to me, especially after how well Fiona has taken care of me after the accident.

The chief of the police comes through the emergency room doors after what I assume was talking with the victims. Jaden approaches him and says something in a low voice and they head outside. Piper comes outside together with Fiona, but head to the nurses station with a pack of papers. We all become alert and hopeful that she has good news for us.

Unfortunately, they don't join us as soon as we hoped for and head inside once more. I'm trying to keep positive because the thought of losing Brian is unsettling. Jaden returns inside, makes a gesture with his head and we all surround him.

"Just spoke with Davids. Arson is definitely suspected. The fence was again cut open, but not on the usual place. It was closer to the overflow parking lot. Whoever did it used regular gasoline, as they found a melted jerry can and traces, and we know that ride works on electricity, unlike some of the smaller ones. The storage was filled with wood and buckets of paint which normally wouldn't have been an issue, but it helped spread the fire fast. It's surreal to think someone might have done this on purpose," Jaden runs his hand through his hair, a gesture he does when he's upset or nervous.

"But with what purpose?" Ximena seems to be mulling over something. 

"What do you mean?" Greg asks.

"A prank? A warning? Why would someone set fire to a building during day time when they can get caught? It just doesn't make sense."

"And that's what the police hopes to find out," Jaden says. "They will check the footer from the security cameras hidden in the flower baskets nearby for any suspicious activity. I only hope the new one Brian added had the right angle into that area."

Knowing that detail gives me peace. Someone has to pay for what happened to Brian. I was unlucky after my accident, besides the eye witnesses, no other methods of identification were available. It made me angry, a feeling I'm not comfortable with, but I still have trouble coming to terms with what happened on that night. It was an attack and I have no way of proving who did it.

"Dear children..."

Fiona joins us and looks so tired, as if she had been carrying the world's weight on her shoulders. She gives us a warm smile and before she can say anything, I have to take a big breath before I break down.

"He'll be okay. At the moment, he's confused and can't remember exactly what happened inside the ride. He's in pain, but is talking and Piper is now with him. She said that our dear Jess is taking care of  Deirdre. Is that right?"

"Yes, this place isn't exactly right for a little girl," Jaden says. 

"I'm grateful. We need to keep that darling one protected against this unfair world."

Fiona's words have more meaning to us than what's literally said.

"What about the burns?" I ask.

"He has a third degree burn on his thigh and some second degree burns on his hands, chest and his face. Ralph, our security guy, got a third degree burn on his arm trying to reach the area where Brian was. He said that glowing debris rained from the ceiling and a fireman pulled him back before a larger piece of the roof fell. I spoke with one of the firemen and he said that they got to Brian right before the rest of the roof collapsed. Everyone else who got hurt is doing better."

Jaden hugs Fiona and kisses the top of her head. I feel Zoe's hand in mine and the tears I have been suppressing roll down my cheeks. She pulls my hand softly and we walk until we reach an empty hallway.

"You heard Fiona, Brian will be okay," she comforts me.

"And then? Who will be next?"

Zoe looks at me with surprise. This can't be a coincidence. First Jaden, then me and now Brian.