Chapter 15 - The Journey

So we left; We abandoned our only true home, for some faraway land we had never been, all the while Not really knowing if we'd return ever again. It was a strange feeling, leaving the house I had become so fond of. This feeling brought me back to how I felt after leaving my old loop. No matter how destroyed and dangerous it was, it still was my home. And this was now my home, and yet it was again being taken away from me.

Under the cover of darkness, we ventured into the forest, careful as to not making a sound. Lit only by the luminescence of the moon, we made our way through town and to the ferry docks. Just before reaching the town, was when it happened.

We heard a horrific cry, followed by a tremendous crash from behind us. A thin, stalky figure appeared int the moonlight. But it was not a hallowgast, it was a person.

Miss Peregrine, with her crossbow drawn, stepped in front of all of us, as to protect us. The figure stalked closer, and came into view.

He looked no older than sixteen, and in one hand he held a rope that was attached to what appeared to be thin air. The problem, was, it wasn't thin air, it had to be a hallowgast.

"Stop right where you are," Miss Peregrine demanded. "And if you would, keep your beast contained. Otherwise, I'll have to kill it."

"Reginald and I mean no harm, ma'am," The figure stated. "I was sent here by Miss Harrier, of the Eastern European Ymbryn Council Division."

Miss Peregrine kept her stance, "State your name, age, and loop," she demanded. As she said this, I couldn't help but picture her as an animal. So frightened and threatened, willing to do anything to protect us.

"Abraham Portman, sixteen years of age, I currently reside in the Sicurezza Island loop of 1939," he coldly read, as if it were a script.

"Young man, what is Miss Harrier's middle name?"

"She doesn't have one," He stated, matter-of-factly.

I watch as Miss Peregrine withdrew her crossbow, and her shoulders relaxed slightly.

"Miss Harrier has sent Reginald and I to come retrieve you and your wards," He explained, "So, if you all are ready, may we get on our way to Sicurezza Island?"

"Not so fast, young man, how are you controlling that beast of yours?"

"You see, it's my peculiarity. Unlike all of you, I am able to actually see Reginald."

The beast swayed at the mention of its name.

"Is he tame?"

"Yes, now if you couldn't tell, we have very minimal time before more of Reginald's kind find us. Only the issue is, is that they are not nearly as friendly as he is." Abraham said with a grin.

With that, Miss Peregrine approached the strange boy named Abraham, and ordered for him to lead the way of our escape.

And so he did.

•//////•

We followed Abraham back in the direction we came, all the way to the beach, on the far side of the island. There, we waded through the water, and to a small boat, that looked no longer than twenty-five feet long.

Enoch carried Claire on his back, piggy-back style. She nestled her face into the back of his neck as he waded through the water.

Victor carried Olive on his back, shoes and all, Olive was passed out, tired from the long day we'd had, and pre-tired for the next few days we will have.

Bronwyn held her suitcase, Victor's suitcase, and Enoch's suitcase as she waded out. She carried all of them with ease as she made her way by my side to the skiff.