Chapter 12 - Unspoken Fears

Miss Peregrine ordered for Emma and me to lead the others back to the house while she handled the situation on the shore.

We were instructed to stay safe and avoid walking through the forests while she scoured the island looking for the hollowgast terrorizing our shores.

Emma led the group at the front, accompanied by Victor, while Enoch and I kept watching on the back of the group. Considering the circumstances, the walk home was both frightening and awkward.

Enoch didn't say much to me, obviously overtaken with thoughts of what we had just witnessed. He had made it clear, however, that he was not mad at me by lightly grabbing my hand and squeezing it reassuringly midway through our walk.

I had come to discover that my life had become much more interesting than it had previously been.

•//////•

Upon arriving at the house, Emma and I ushered the other children into the house, quickly escorting them to the cellar where our safety was promised.

In the cellar was a bomb shelter that had been built when the house was built just before World War I. Seeing as it protected the children from the war overhead, it seemed fitting that it could protect us from the hollowgast terrorizing the island.

Emma quickly left a note for Miss Peregrine, indicating that we were safe, and had made it home with all of us accounted for. However, I noticed she didn't put where we could be found on the note.

Once in the shelter, I inquired, "How come you didn't write that we had gone into the cellar?" I asked.

Victor answered for her, "Most hollowgasts are accompanied by their handlers."

The other children shuddered at the mention of the beast's name.

It had become clear that in most circumstances, a hollowgast would be brought into a loop by a Wight, also known as the "handler."

I soon discovered that the bomb shelter had three compartments. One was a living room kind of space with chairs and couches, as well as food and water, while the other two had beds in them. We all sat together in silence for a while until many of the younger children started to fall asleep. Emma, Enoch, Victor, and I were the only ones left awake when Miss Peregrine finally came back.

She brought news that many of us had not expected.

•//////•

Upon her arrival, Miss Peregrine ordered that we all wash up for dinner, where she would explain our situation and plan of action in regards to today's revelations.

I washed up quickly, and I was almost finished getting dressed when I heard a slight knock at my bedroom door. I knew who it was.

"You may come in, Enoch," I said, and he did. I turned to face him, not leaving the mirror.

"How did you know it was me and not Emma?" He asked, the beginnings of a smirk appearing on his face.

"Well, unlike you, Emma usually barges in, knocking as the door is opening," I said with a small laugh.

I turned to face him, and it was then that I remembered what else had happened today.

I smiled, remembering our time spent swimming.

"What's that smile for?" He asked, sitting down on my bed and looking at me.

I crossed to my bed and stood in front of him, he put his hands on my waist and stood up to face me. I put my hands on his upper chest, slightly pushing him away, indicating my wish to speak, and not kiss.

"I realize now that I never got to tell you how I feel," I began, I looked anywhere but his eyes.

He removed one hand from my waist and with two fingers, lifted my chin so that my eyes were looking straight into his.

"And how is it that you feel, Rose?" He asked.

"I-" I was suddenly interrupted.

The door burst open, shattering the blissful peace of the room, and we turned our heads to see the source of the interruption.

"Rose, you will not believe-" Emma stood in the door frame, staring at us. She appeared stunned, but a smug smile spread across her face as she came to a realization. Leaning against the doorframe, she finally spoke.

"Nevermind, I'll tell you later," she said, "I told you so," she said laughing, and closing the door behind her. Though, I wasn't sure who she aimed that final comment towards. Enoch appeared to be wondering the same thing I was.

I turned to face him, meeting his gaze once again, though it seemed highly unlikely that we would be able to pick our conversation back up.

We stood there in awkward silence for a few seconds before Enoch finally said, "Wow. You were not kidding when you said she does not know how to knock." He mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

I walked over to my vanity, grabbing my necklace, and again attempted to put it on. Enoch crossed over to my vanity, and took the clasp in his fingers, clasping the chain together.

His fingertips lingered on the back of my neck, and as he was about to speak, I nervously said, "I suppose we should go down to dinner?"

"Oh, um, yeah. That sounds like a good plan," he muttered, seeming somewhat disappointed.

With that, he grabbed my hand and walked me down the stairs to the dining room, he released my hand as we walked in, but as we sat down, he grabbed it again, not letting go of it during dinner at any time.

Anyone who might have observed me would have noticed that my cheeks were a lot pinker than they usually were. And it wasn't from all of the sun I had soaked up today...

(Hello! Thanks for reading this chapter! I'm going out of my mind! ALMOST 300 reads! Thank you so much, all of you matter so much to me, and I feel so excited for the story to continue! Until Chapter 13! XOXO - IlliterateIguana)