Chapter 5 - The Letter

After leaving Enoch to sulk by himself, I made my way into the house, quickly wiping the remaining tears from my eyes. Emma and I crossed paths in the foyer, with worry in her eyes, she grabbed my hand and led me up to my room.

When we got to my room, we sat down on my bed, and she finally addressed the elephant in the room:

"What on earth just happened?" She asked.

"I followed Enoch out to the garden, and when we got there, he told me that he hates me and that he'd rather be around dead people than be my friend..." I looked down at my hands.

"Well, that makes sense," she laughed.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I understand the dead people part, that's his peculiarity. As for you being annoying, trust me, you are not annoying. If anything, Enoch is flustered and doesn't know how to properly treat a lady. I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him to stop acting like an arse." She proudly stated.

Emma is such a kind-hearted person, always wanting the best for others. I knew from the very first moment I met her that she was a true friend.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is your peculiarity, Rosemary?"

I took a deep breath, "I'm what's known as an 'Empathetic.' I can sense the feelings and thoughts of others in frequency waves that I like to call 'echos.' By physically connecting, or touching someone, I can see memories that they have experienced, or share memories of my own with them." I looked down at my hands and then back at her.

"That's incredible," she said. "Is it like mind-reading, or can you just sense the feelings someone is letting off?" She looked at me with a deep curiosity in her eyes.

"I can't read minds- yet. If I were to practice and really concentrate, I could see what goes on in a person's head, but I'd have to be making contact with them to do that."

I felt a little bit self-conscious because I knew how odd it sounded. Having a peculiarity that I didn't even know how to control, let alone explain, seemed strange to those who had mastered their own. But Emma was different, she looked so much more interested in my abilities than any other person I'd ever met.

Emma looked at me with wide eyes, "that's amazing!" She cautiously continued, "If it would be any help, I could try and help you practice, you know, with like reading my mind and stuff." She seemed genuinely amazed and intrigued.

I nodded my head, "Miss Plover, my former ymbryne, had just begun training with me before our loop was destroyed..." I felt the beginnings of a tear form in the corners of my eyes. I tried quickly wiping it away before Emma got too concerned, but of course, she saw the pain in my eyes.

Out of instinct, she wrapped her arms around me in a hug, in to console me. I had never felt this close to someone, ever. Other peculiars didn't like me because my peculiarity wasn't all that interesting to those that couldn't see what I saw. I had long dreamed of being able to show others what I could see. When you think about it, it's a beautiful thing to be able to see every side of a person, rather than just the side the present to the world...

•//////•

Emma and I stayed up in my room for hours, until Miss Peregrine signaled the beginning of the reset. Emma grabbed my hand, and we raced down the stairs, grabbing gas masks as we left the house.

The sparkling sky above was littered with hundreds of planes flying overhead. Bombs fell all over the island, and just as a gigantic bomb was dropped above our heads, Miss Peregrine reset the clock, and we watched as the once deadly skies became clear once more.

After the reset, all of us retired to our rooms for the night. As I entered my room, I noticed something on my vanity that had not been there before. It was a small letter that read "Rosemary" on the envelope. I opened it, thoroughly intrigued, only to be surprised at what was inside.

It was A letter. From Enoch.

•//////•

I opened my door just enough to be able to see that everyone had gone to bed already. I quietly crept across the hallway and stood in front of Enoch's door. I already regretted what I was going to do.

Coming from underneath Enoch's door was a dark, fog-like mist, obviously his echo. Horace's dream was correct. I stood there for about a minute, deciding if I should really do this. I made up my mind.

I knocked, ever so lightly, so as not to alert the others of what I was doing. I heard something creak within the room, and within seconds the door was opening, revealing the source of the vibrant green light.

(Hello! Thanks for reading Chapter 5! If you like my story, please give me a vote! Stay tuned for Chapter 6! XOXO - IlliterateIguana)