Chapter 2 - The Revelation

Shortly after Miss Peregrine left, I got up out of bed and staggered my way over to the bookshelf, careful not to put too much pressure on my right leg. Upon reaching the bookshelf, I saw that it was filled with volumes upon volumes of encyclopedias and stories of past peculiars. My eyes scanned the shelf looking for any familiar titles when one caught my eye Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I grabbed the book off of the shelf and again, carefully staggered back to the bed.

I read for about an hour, until I heard a slight knock at the door, followed by nervous whispering. I sharply said, "Come in."

The door opened, and two girls stood there. One was a tall blonde, with long black gloves, and a lovely purple dress. She looked to be about 16 years of age and seemed to mean business. The other girl was shorter, with messy brown hair, she held herself in such a way, revealing her shy nature. She looked like a soft baby deer, compared to the blonde. Both girls walked forward, the blonde carrying a silver tray of food, covered by a cloche, and a tall glass of water beside it. She walked over and set the tray upon my bed, Smiled at me, and then said:

"Hello Rosemary, my name is Emma, Emma Bloom. And this is my friend, Fiona."

Fiona looked up at me and smiled, I smiled back and looked up at Emma. Then at Emma's hands, clad with the thick, black gloves. She seemed to notice my staring and answered the question before I even asked.

"I'm a pyrokinetic. The gloves keep me from burning our house to the ground," she smiled widely.

"Fascinating," I stated.

They both looked at each other, and then at me, surprised. Then in unison, we all began to giggle. Emma looked at me and then stated,

"I'll be right back! I'll grab Fiona and I's dinner, and bring it up here so you won't be lonely."

And with that, she left, and as she left, I caught a glimpse of something- no- someone in the shadows of the hallway, they seemed to vanish as soon as I looked at them.

•//////•

Emma, Fiona, and I all ate dinner, and as soon as we finished, we started talking about the other peculiars who lived in this loop. According to Emma, everyone in the house had their own room, Emma's room was right next to mine, on the left side, and on the right side was Fiona's room. All of the girls' rooms were on the left side of the hallway, while the boys' rooms were on the right.

Fiona slowly began to come out of her shell as the night went on, telling me of all the other peculiars I would meet tomorrow morning at breakfast. And to be honest, I was extremely excited after hearing of their strange peculiarities.

The girls continued to tell me of their daily routines and what usually went on around the house. According to Emma, upon my arrival, she and Fiona had been sent to town to buy some clothes for me, as it was clear that most of my belongings had been destroyed by hollowgasts.

Shortly before 8:30, a bell ring through the house, which appeared to signal one hour till curfew. Both girls grabbed their trays, bid me goodnight, and left the room.

Not five minutes after the bell, Miss Peregrine entered my room, to ask how I was feeling, and I told her that I was feeling a lot better. She smiled, and then she too bid me goodnight, turning off the light as she left the room.

Just like that, everything was dark, I was left alone in the room, with moonlight spilling through the tall windows, that was once bathed in sunlight. I silently cried myself to sleep that night, I was trapped in my mind thinking about all of my friends and dear ymbryn, who all died the most gruesome of deaths, I felt guilty. I should have been killed with them, I did not deserve to live if it meant that they had to die.

Shortly before I drifted off, I noticed two shadows under the crack of my door, and heard the quietest whisper,

"Enoch? What are you doing?"

"Nothing Claire, c'mon, I'll tuck you in," said a deep voice laced with a thick Scottish accent.

Suddenly, I became aware of who had been lurking in the shadows tonight.

Someone named Enoch.

•//////•

I awoke early the next morning and walked over to my new closet. I opened the door, and my jaw nearly dropped when I saw the plethora of dresses and shoes in there.

I shook my head laughing to my self, thinking, 'Emma, you have truly outdone yourself.'

I found it hard to decide just what to wear, but I finally settled upon a white frilly dress. I put it on and walked over to the mirror, I looked good. The dress synced my waist and defined my upper half really well, but also had a lovely skirt that was soft and went down to my just above my knee. The sleeves were made up of small ruffles and were off the shoulder, accentuating my collarbones. I ran a brush through my hair, which had been washed at some point during my sleep upon arriving. I stepped back to the closet, finding a pair of red flats, and a red ribbon for my hair. I pulled two pieces of hair back and tied them with the ribbon neatly, then brushed my hair until it was silky. After one final look in the mirror, I exited my room.

When I opened my door, it just so happened that the person in the room across from mine was also headed down for breakfast. We quickly locked eyes, and he froze in his place for a split second, before angrily grumbling something unintelligible about it being rude to stare, then he stomped down the hallway.

That was most certainly Enoch from the looks and sounds of it. His dark curls and deep brown eyes had mesmerized me, but his attitude left a bad taste in my mouth. Just as Emma said, it would. I smiled to myself and then walked gracefully down the hallway to breakfast.

(Thanks for reading! I'm sorry the story has such a slow start, but bear with me! Things are about to get really good... please give me a vote you liked this chapter, and stay tuned for chapter 3! XOXO - IlliterateIguana)