Chapter 10 - The gift of Forgiveness

• Rosemary's P.O.V. •

The sun's light was streaming through the large glass panes of my bedroom windows, it was early morning. The birds chirped outside, and the distant ocean roared, like every other day it had.

I attended breakfast that morning for the first time in nearly a week. Wearing a pale blue dress and small heels that appeared to be no more than an inch tall, I entered the dining room. Everyone turned and looked at me with great surprise. They didn't think I would show.

It appeared that everyone was there, everyone that is, except Enoch.

Much like me, he hadn't attended breakfast in over a week since the incident in the elm tree. I don't blame him.

I started to feel bad because I was the one driving him away. Victor had been bringing him dinner in the evenings, and I felt guilty for it.

After breakfast had finished, I decided to break the ice, I knew where he would be. The elm tree.

•//////•

I walked down the path to the tree, and as I approached the base of the tree, I saw Enoch's legs dangling from a tall branch.

I climbed the tree, careful not to rip my dress as I did so. I sat down next to him, and we sat there in silence for a few minutes until he finally said, "Rose, I'm really sorry for what I said, if I could take it back I would," he said, with a grim look on his face.

I looked at him. His eyes met mine, and I could see the remorse that riddled his expression. He really was sorry, and he meant what he said.

"Although I don't understand why it bothered you so much to see me with Hugh, I guess I forgive you. Just please don't say something like that again, it really hurt me to have you think that I would lie about my strife," I stated.

I saw his cheeks turn red when I mentioned Hugh.

"I'm sorry about the Hugh thing," he mumbled. "I guess I just got a little jealous is all," he looked down at the ground.

"Why would you need to be jealous of Hugh?" I asked.

"I don't know, okay? I just didn't like seeing you hugging him because, actually, never mind, it doesn't matter," he mumbled quietly.

Jealous? Why would he need to be jealous? He and I are just friends, and Hugh and I are just friends, so what does it matter? It doesn't.

"Nevertheless, I forgive you," I said, turning to him and meeting his gaze.

A wave of relief washed over his face, and he began digging into one of his pockets. He pulled out a small black box and handed it to me.

"Here," He said. "I uh, made this for you... Before this whole thing started, obviously," he quickly mumbled.

I flashed him a confused look as I opened the box. Inside was a necklace, and on the chain was a small crystal rosebud. It was beautiful.

"You made this? For me?" I asked, the small beginnings of a tear forming in my eyes.

"Yeah," He said, lightly pulling at the collar of his shirt, a little embarrassment lacing his voice. "Yeah, I made it before all this started, and I saw the rosebud and thought of you, so I decided to make it for you and uh-"

Before he could finish, I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek lightly. His face turned bright red, and he looked away quickly.

"It's beautiful, I love it," I said, attempting to put it on.

"Here, um, let me help you," He said, shakily taking the necklace and putting it around my neck, clasping it.

"It looks good on you, Rose," he sputtered, slightly blushing. He was nervous.