Hunger

——-
2 years have passed

Sydney is now 7 years old
——

Somewhere in the distance, I could hear the melodies of birds tweeting their sweet tunes signaling the daybreak. I smile as my eyes dance upon a gentle deer in the distance, drinking from the clear crystal spring. Slowly, I tiptoe near so I could pet it. As it was about to put its snout into my palm, its head turned to an unexpected shake in the trees and leaped away.

"No!" I cursed under my breath, turning my head to look at the disturbance.

Another rustle in the bushes moved its leaves.

"Whose th-th-there?" I stuttered but no one spoke.

"Come out...or..ill make you come out!" I threatened emptily; my juvenile voice barely held any base.

A child with light green eyes and straight brown hair stepped out of the bushes. His face was as fresh as a cool winter spring, his skin as pale as snow.

He twirled his fingers as he observed my small frame

"Who... are....you" he whispered.

"You scared away the deer!" I snapped, bothered by his intruding spirit. That deer was my dinner for next 3 days but this stupid boy scared it away.

Silence filled the atmosphere as he reluctantly met my eyes, knowing he was at fault for my anger. The harsh growls of my stomach sounded through the quiet air as I looked to flat sack of nuts and spoiled berries in the distance; its presence mocked my peace. How  could this be the food that was supposed to carry me till the end week? It would barely get me through today.

"I'm sorry.. I don't want you to be mad" he whispered. I plucked at the grass and threw it away as I looked up to the blue skies.

"What is a girl like you doing in a forest like this?" his green eyes twinkled with curiosity.

"I should be asking you the same thing" I muttered.

"Why are you looking up at the sky?"

I ignored him, praying he would depart.

"Why are you plucking the grass?
And why are chewing on the blades?
And why were you trying to—"

"You ask a lot of questions" I interrupted him.

"My father told me I have an in-qu-sa-tave mind" he bragged, desperately failing to pronounce the word.

"In-quasi-tive? What does that mean?"

"I don't know" he shrugged, "but he only says it so I will shut up" he said through a laugh, "Do you live in the forest? I saw you napping by the tree?"

"Leave me alone...." I held my knees together; why did he have to remind me of my inconvenient situation?

"Okay I'll go..." he hung his head low in defeat but before he left, he pulled out a thick burlap cloth from his pocket, "Here" he held out his hand, "its fresh goat's cheese and bread; there is pumpernickel seeds as well" he smiled.

" he hung his head low in defeat but before he left, he pulled out a thick burlap cloth from his pocket, "Here" he held out his hand, "its fresh goat's cheese and bread; there is pumpernickel seeds as well" he smiled

"I don't want your food" I whispered but my rumbling stomach exposed my truth.

"Here... take it." he commanded.

"Fine..." I muttered, reluctantly grabbing the burlap and tossing it to the side of the tree.

"I'm Timothee by the way" he held out his hand for me to shake. I looked down at his palm and brushed it to the side. I plopped onto the soft ground to observe the shifting waters.

"I guess...I will see you around?" he asked but my silence pressured him to depart. Once he was gone, I unwrapped the cloth and devoured the food savagely. I had barely eaten in days and although I would never let him know, this food was lifesaving.

——-

10 days had passed since I last saw the lad. I tie the last piece of wood for my new hut, fatigued by the strenuous activity. I clutch my blade as I hear a rustling in the bush. I knew it was probably that strange boy sneaking around to leave me his basket of food.

My fingertips latch onto the indents of the bark as I climb up the branches of the tree to hide. He enters into the forest and quickly places a heavy basket of food near the lake.

"Hey!" I yell, he jumped at my unexpected outburst and stepped away from the basket. "why do you keep leaving me food?"

"I just thought... I thought?" he stuttered.

"You think I am some charity?" I snapped as I climbed down the tree.

"No...I just thought since we were friends and you lived in the forest I--"

"We are not friends..." I could see my words has hurt his spirit as he dropped his head in regret.

"oh... Okay... I guess I will just go" he slumped.

"Wait" I say, regretting my choice of words to the boy.

"I'm sorry. It's just..my mom was my first and only friend...I live here alone as ab orphan because she was killed by the king's men..."

"You have no home?" he confirmed.

"The forest is my home. I don't have any friends. That's why it is hard to trust anyone... except Jeffery ..."

"Jeffery?" he remarked.

I lifted my finger to point at the buck that was chewing on the soft grass.

"oh...I didn't know...I'm sorry"

"Why apologize? It's not your fault' I burted.

His eyes showed remorse as he observed my appearance; although he wasn't at fault, he felt somewhat responsible for her unfortunate circumstance since he was related to the king.
Maybe it would be best if he kept it a secret? Or maybe he should tell her now?

I lifted the red patterned blanket to observe the spread of foods. Smoked meats and sausages filled the brown basket; white and yellow cheeses piled high. I bit into the soft bread and stuffed my mouth with the soft butter.

"I will alllow you be my friend if you promise not to betray me" I commanded through a mouth stuffed with grapes.

"I won't " he smiled.

"Can I trust you?"

He looked at me as I observed his face. It looked as if he was contemplating whether to tell me something.

"Yes...you can trust me" he spoke. "I promise" he crossed his heart.

I spit in my hand and held it out for him to shake.

"Eww" he groaned, his face twisted with disgust.

"It's the only way... unless you prefer a blood contract?" I shrugged as I took out my dagger.

He reluctantly spit into his hand and pressed it into mine.

"My name is Sydney by the way'" I admitted. He nodded and smiled gently.

Both of the kids continued to talk and play throughout the Forrest, using the setting sun as their playful backdrop. After a couple of hours, they said their final goodbyes and the boy left to return to his abode in the palace of King John.